Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thunbergia mysorensis

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 21:22

I recently acquired a very healthy and heavily blooming specimen of this tender vine. Apparently it is a very vigorous evergreen species orginating from India and therefore not frost hardy. It has unique and very showy flowers of gold and maroon that supposedly attract hummingbirds and give rise to the common name of "brick and butter" vine. My new house has a sunroom and I am being tempted to grow various tender plants I couldn't manage in the light conditions of my former place. Has anyone grown this as a houseplant.....at least during the winter months? Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thunbergia mysorensis

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 22:53

Grew it outdoors in SoCal.

There it was an extremely vigorous vine even tough it received minimal attention.

The pendant flower clusters can be spectacular, up to 18 inches long.

The main "glitch" is that the flowers have so much nectar that they literally drip.

So, if you try it in the green house, train it so that it has room for the dangling flowers, also *not* over a pathway where you will receive a sticky "rain."

o
Not the same species but same genus.

I've been growing Thunbergia laurifolia in my greenhouse for three years. The greenhouse was shaded much of the time before neighbor's cut down their box elder and we sold our camper. It was sluggish in winter but lived. Highly susceptible to spider mites and drying out. Wilts dramatically.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here