Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help choosing greenhouse veggies!

Posted by chiroken 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 23:07

Hello everyone. I am about to purchase a 8x12' polycarbonate greenhouse and I am trying to figure out which veggies are best in a greenhouse in my region (coastal Vancouver Island). I don't want to run out of room realizing more need to grow in a greenhouse. It will be on a raised bed of about 8".

Definitely lots of tomatoes. We also want zucchini and cukes but i think both of those grow excellent outside (I will have raised beds). What about english cukes, will they grow in a greenhouse? Will grow some peppers but not tons.

Other veggies we really want: peas (regular and snow), beans, carrots, lettuce, radishes, turnip, spinach, squashes like butternut.

I think most of the above grow best in outdoor raised beds? What about squashes?

Fruit would be raspberries, strawberries, blueberries. Think these are all also outdoor raised beds.

Also, any veggie suggestions that do really well in a greenhouse?

Thanks tons! Can't wait to get it built, then a long wait till next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help choosing greenhouse veggies!

The tomatoes and sweet peppers will benefit from a greenhouse, as would eggplant, okra, other hot climate stuff.

All the other vegetables you mention do fine outdoors; in a greenhouse they may mature or ripen faster.

Summer and winter squash take up a lot of space. There are some smaller zucchini varieties available. Cucumbers can be trained to a small or vertical area.
---------------
What kind of temperature control and air movement will your greenhouse have?

o

I am planning on having 2 automatic roof vents that open/close depending on the temperature. I don't have power out there so I don't plan on running fan. There will be a door at 1 end.

o

OK, just checking, as that is important. Fan is not critical.

Study up on pollination requirements; tomato blossoms need disturbance to set well, most squashes need insect visits, not sure about cukes.

o

Basil is something that does well in my greenhouse, but not outside. Peppers also keep going far until January in a mostly unheated greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here