Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed ID Needed

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 23:30

And how to get rid of it! I've dug soil out in areas where it exists to get rid of it but comes back, how do I get rid of this?? I live in a suburb of Tacoma WA, areas it is growing in are full sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed ID Needed

How is this liverwort affecting your other plants or garden?
Is it necessary to get rid of it?
Fascinating plant family..........

Here is a link that might be useful: liverworts

o

It's covering the ground (which I had compost on to make the bedding planters look neat and tidy). It looks really ugly in my bedding planters and I DEFINITELY want to get rid of it. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

As I stated digging it out didn't work, it came back, so I need some other way.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 2:23

Dig in some sand so the soil is not so damp and compacted on top. Same as with mosses and ferns, these need a film of water sitting on the soil (or rocks) to get started.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 23:04

I get it in the compacted areas of my gravel driveway where there isn't enough to loose gravel on top especially near the edges.

What works after I remove it from pots is to add a mixture of chick grit from the feed store & sprinkling of lime. Succulents really like this mixture & I give them a but more lime.

o

There is no product registered for homeowners for its removal in the US so you are left with only scraping it off if you want it gone. It does tend to congregate on damp, compacted and rich soils so the more you can do to reduce these factors, the less it will thrive. A good coarse mulch of wood chips or bark seems to keep it at bay.

Other than some dubious aesthetics, it is of no consequence to plants specifically or the garden in general.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here