Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_portland

I'm having plant problems

ellen_portland
15 years ago

I'm trying to build my garden and planted some small versions of foundation plants. They aren't looking too happy.

I was hoping someone might help me identify what is wrong with them and have some ideas on how to remedy it? 1-3 get sun, 4 is north facing.

1. Weigela

2. Deutzia

3. Ceanothus

4. Akebia

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)

• jean001
    15 years ago

1 and 2 are short of water and have heat damage.
    3 I can't see what it is.
    4 looks like powdery mildew,.

If they've been planted recently, the most likely problem is that the original rootballs are dry. That can occur in spite of rainfall and irrigation. So you'll need to check the rootball by feeling it, then water directly onto that area -- a drizzling hose works well.

• ellen_portland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, it is weird, since I have been diligent with watering. I do have newspaper around with bark, but not close up to base of plant. I guess I will go around each of these and try to loosen the root ball all around?

Then attach my soaker hose.

MUCH appreciated.

• jean001
    15 years ago

You asked "I guess I will go around each of these and try to loosen the root ball all around?"

No. Don't loosen the rootball. Instead, check it to see if it is moist, wet,or dry.

If, as I suspect, it's dry, then drizzle water directly onto the top of the rootball.

And if you use a soaker hose, make certain it is on top of the rootball. Then make certain that you run the system long enough, and often enough, to maintain an evenly moist rootball which is critical for a recently planted whatever.

And during our current heat wave and even beyond, it would be very useful to rig temporary shade.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Probably a different problem with each different kind of plant. The clematis will be likely to need more serious watering of the root area, many foliage mildews are a summer phenomenon prevalent in this area because the common combination of dry roots and damp leaves is perfect for them - drought stress may predispose genetically susceptible kinds of plants to infestation, with damp leaves providing a good surface for germination of mildew spores. Dry weather may also be more suitable for dispersal of spores than rainy (some mildews emit spores that have their own little moisture packets, so they can infect dry leaf surfaces). And frequently washed leaves are less suitable for colonization than merely damp ones.