Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicholerh

Which Plum Variety?

nicholerh
12 years ago

Hi there. We are going to be getting a plum tree for our yard and was wondering what variety you all would recommend? I live in Seattle, we're looking for a European variety, 8-12 feet tall with maturity, and I'd like beauty as well as flavor. If you were in my shoes, what would your short list be?

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

'Italian' is the standard variety. But 8'-12' is pretty small for any plum tree.

• boizeau
    12 years ago

If you want to make a good jam, I'd go with damson plum. They are a bit tannic fresh though.
    you're smart to choose European over Asian Plums- much better in our region and less prone to brown rot.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Yields rather light and intermittent on a Damson being grown on a Seattle site.

• nicholerh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks tallclover. I think I may go with that one. I had chosen Seneca but I think I'll put it on my dad's 5 acres since he has room to play around with a tree that may or may not fruit. Imperial Epinuse sounds like a winner. Thanks again.

• briergardener_gw
    11 years ago

What about pollinizer for Imperial Epineuse?
    Tallclover, do you have one tree or you have some other for pollinizer?

• nicholerh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My neighbor has an Italian Plum so I'm good for pollination. Seattle is filled with Italian plums.

• niroha
    11 years ago

Well it took me a while but I finally got my imperial epineuse plum tree from Raintree today. Tiny little bareroot tree! Put it in the ground just in time for a light Seattle rain.

Thanks for the help. It'll be a few years before I see fruit (it's maybe 3-4 feet tall once planted) but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

• Merilia
    11 years ago

I guess this is a bit late, but I've got a Stanley plum grafted onto dwarfing rootstock that's the height you're looking for. I presume you can do the same thing with other cultivars to keep them small.

• CathyJ
    11 years ago

Mirabelle or Mirabelle de Metz, a very old French variety. While the fruit is small, it is abundant. Pretty, too: yellow, with small red spots. Best-flavored plum I have ever eaten. Raintree currently carries de Metz.

• Bay Area Gardener
    11 years ago

I know you said you are looking for a European variety, but if you are just looking for a plum that tastes good and stays small(er) I can recommend the variety "Hollywood".

It is a Japanese plum with leaves and flowers very much like the Thundercloud ornamental variety and has excellent sweet reddish fruits that ripen in September. I bought mine from the Hartmann nursery around 3 years ago and the tree is about 7 feet tall now and shows all signs of staying compact.

Here is a picture from the Hartmann nursery showing what the fruit and leaves look like:

http://www.hartmansfruitphotos.com/Trees/Plums/9331147_Xk5VLh#!i=624020915&k=DNFTc2H

I find that the leaves and fruit on my tree are redder than in the picture.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

You are actually talking about 'Spencer Hollywood', a different kind from 'Hollywood'. 'Spencer Hollywood' is the "Hollywood" of general commerce at this time.

For an article on this cultivar from the world authority on purple-leaved plums ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Spencer Hollywood' Plum; Prunus 'Spencer Hollywood'

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 1:14

• vincentkim8b
    6 years ago

How is your Imperial plum , it should be fruiting by now. Please come back let us know updating about your plum tree niroha. I planted one as well in North of Seattle but just one year old seem like fruiting better than Seneca plum and hopefully have a chance to taste both soon.