Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for privacy screen planting in a container garden

Posted by kitanddave 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 0:24

We have a float home in North Vancouver and need to grow a small(ish) evergreen screen on the "public" end of our deck. A fruit bearing or at least flowering vine would be nice. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for privacy screen planting in a container garden

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 2:18

How big?

o

Billardiera longiflora is easy to train on structures and will not outgrow the space. However, its fairly slow to fill in. Something you will appreciate in the long run, but it won't get you quick privacy.

o

Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 14:33

Also prone to being damaged by cold winters.

o

How big? Well up to about eight feet high. Pruning won't be a problem for us.
You know I had it in mind to try grapes. They won't be evergreen or particularly neat looking but........ Or kiwi? I've scanned the posts for kiwis and found out a lot. Will I have a lack of bees, being over the water and 100 feet from shore?
So many questions! ;-)

o

Thanks for the suggestion. Does this Billardiera longiflora have a common name?
The local parks board has palms growing nearby but frost cannot be ruled out either. How can I find out our zone?

o

tasmania vine-- it is a bit cold sensitive. not sure when damage occurs, mine sailed through 17 degrees without leaf damage. if you are on the water, should perform for you for many years.

Here is a link that might be useful: some pictures

o

Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 3:38

Also doesn't have any meat on it. The fruits are quite interesting, maybe you could plant it in combination with something more substantial. The color of the fruit would be quite nice with the foliage of purple-leaved wine grape (Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea'). The grapes from this one aren't tops, however.

The simplest thing would be to buy a Fargesia 'Rufa' and plant it in the middle of of a tub. Kept watered and fertilized it would soon make a substantial and dense clump.

o

I think kiwi is too vigorous to grow in a pot and it isn't evergreen. What about Star Jasmine? The scent is amazing, the flowers very pretty against the dark green leaves. Mine is in a pot and at this point is up to the roof. I wouldn't expect it to freeze if it is on the water and somewhat protected by your home.

o

Thank you for your suggestions. We plan to be away from the internet for a few days but near some plant nurseries.I'll see what they have....................

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here