Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asile_gw

Leafhoppers

asile
12 years ago

This summer in my vegetable garden I've noticed what I think has been an infestation of leafhoppers in various herb and vegetable plants in my potted plants and raised beds.

At first, I thought it was whitefly, which I've had minor problems with before--light colored little bugs fluttered out of certain plants when jostled. But on closer inspection, I saw that they were greenish-whitish leafhoppers.

Not thinking they were any harm, I didn't give them a second thought. But then beginning in July or so, I noticed my potted sage plant's leaves turning finely speckled and dying, and something similar to the leaves of my pole beans and then of my calendula as the summer progressed.

I read that leafhoppers can cause that kind of damage. They seem to be present on many of my veggie & herb plants but have caused problems only in a few.

Assuming leafhoppers are the problem, I'd like to find out what their life cycle is in these parts so that I can alter my garden environment to get better of them next year.

Any experience with them in the veggie garden, and any suggestions for organic control?

Thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!