Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of Little White Butterfly or Moth?

Posted by AnnaA SW PDL z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 1:19

This summer I have had an unusually high # of little white butterflies. Can't judge size too well, but I'd guess wingspan is less than 2"?

They are everywhere flying around my garden. I'm the one that has some critter boring holes in virtually every bell pepper, something that's never happened before, so I'm hunting for the offender.

Anyone know what type of butterfly? Or is it a moth? I think they are very attractive - dainty and feathery - but, no idea if they are good or bad visitors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of Little White Butterfly or Moth?

always thought it was the white cabbage butterfly.
look for small pale yellow eggs in a clump standing up on edge on the underside of the leaves. they have green smooth caterpillars.
good or bad? depends.....

o

Their larvae -- velvety green caterpillars -- specialize in cole crops. Don't bother peppers.

o

Small white cabbage butterfly :)

o

I am not seeing black dots on its wings, but the pictures I'm looking at suggest it could be so pale, I can't see them from my vantage point. I do have a bed of kale, a bed of collards... I will hunt under their leaves tomorrow and see what I find.

Thanks everyone.

o

Cabbage whites always have some black markings. You could possibly have the native Margined White, closely related. The summer forms are all white with no black markings.

The caterpillars of the margined white eat crucifers. You would have to be near an undeveloped area to have these in the city. Otherwise, look more closely for black markings.

The cabbage white caterpillar also feeds on nasturtium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here