Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hostas on vancouver island

Posted by hostadog (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 8:33

I am considering moving myself and my hostas from Quebec to somewhere on Vancouver Island. I would appreciate any info on hosta growing there... and perhaps the best part of the island for hostas. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hostas on vancouver island

Hostas grow like weeds pretty much anywhere in the Pacific Northwest......if you can keep the deer and slugs away from them :-) There shouldn't be any issues (other than those 2 already mentioned) growing them anywhere you like on Vancouver Island. FWIW, many hostas can be grown in full sun here without problems - we are far enough north that the sun even in summer is not very intense.

o

I echo Gardengal: Deer food. Be sure to get a place that is deer fenced.

o

It's just as Garden gal said Hosta's thrive here. The only problems are deer, slugs and unfortunately I have to add snails to that list. I think you could choose anywhere on the island for Hostas.
If you are interested in growing some of the more tender plants the closer to Victoria the better. They grow plants on the south end of the island that I can't grow here in Nanaimo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here