Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Montana Clematis

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 10:57

Here is a picture of my son's clematis flowering for the second time this year. It's about 3 ft. high and 5 ft. across.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Montana Clematis

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 15:18

Why do you think this is Clematis montana? Does it have the same foliage?

o

Is this blooming now or is the picture from last spring?

o

This is what they told me they bought last year but they can't find the tag. This picture was taken last week and the flowers have opened up even more now. I have to tell you that they are not conscientious gardeners so I'm sure this plant has had to look after itself most of the time.

o

Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 13:50

Probably C. terniflora or similar.

o

Yes, I seriously doubt it is a montana.........first, I have never encountered a 'dwarf' montana - they get to be massive vines. Second, while they can throw a few flowers in late summer or fall, they would never have a second bloom period as intense as that shown in photo. And white montanas are not at all that common and tend to be somewhat hard to find - most cultivars are in various shades of pink.

Could be C. terniflora - an appropriate bloom time for that species as well as similar appearance. But a second bloom cycle?? Very unlikely. And if SAC, it too is no dwarf - it can get as large - if not larger - than any of the montanas. 25-30 feet is pretty standard.

o

Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 17:03

One my girlfriend had for years on Camano Island never got very big, maybe 10' or so at one point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here