Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcstoehr

you can grow cantelopes in the pnw

tcstoehr
14 years ago

I made a semi-serious effort to grown cantaloupes this year and have been pleasantly surprised by a large batch of sizable fruits. I planted Athena from Territorial Seeds. Although they do taste freakin-fantastic, they're still a bit hard at this point. Juicy and delicious, but still hard. I suspect they're not fully ripe as I had to use some force to remove them from their vines. I'm wondering if they will ripen up any more this year. I'm sure we'll get some more 80+ degree weather which should help. What I've learned is that there's barely enough warmth in our season to grow these things. On the positive side, I'll be able to eat 2 or 3 canteloupes a week for at least two months. I'll take that. But I'd really prefer to eat two or three every day, so maybe next year I'll grow a whole lot more of them.

Comments (8)

• rain2fall
    14 years ago

Did you trellis them? They get more warmth that way.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Friend just north of Seattle grows them under cover. Hotter summers in Portland should be more favorable, but use of shelter might still be worthwhile.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

the 22 days of 90+ in Portland this year (the record is 23), including 10 in a row and two 106s, has helped a lot of heat-loving vegetables. With this 80+ stretch coming up, all of our tomatoes will be vine-ripened without resorting to drastic measures used in most years here.

Most of the Anaheim/jalapeno/pimento peppers have already turned completely red.

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did not trellis them, I don't know why they'd get more heat that way. I would think heat reflecting off the ground would keep things warmer down low as opposed to up on a trellis.

I did shelter them under plastic, but only for their first month. After that they were on their own.

Yes, I suppose the unusual number of warm days did help. Makes me wonder if the average year might not be so productive melon-wise.

• hvaldez
    14 years ago

I just harvested a medium sized melon. I don't remember the variety but it was a muskmelon type. My husband and daughter loved it. Although I am not a huge melon fan. It was super sweet. But, I only got one from the vine I planted. I did not trellis, but I will consider trying that technique next year.

• boizeau
    14 years ago

You can...........
    But
    It really is not worth the effort.
    So many winter squash do very well here, and will give you three times the results for a third of the effort.
    The Butternut Squash is a real gourmet type, and the Bush Butternut is a wonderful plant for the small gardener.
    My Daughter works at a farm nearby and they do grow Cantaloups, but the fuit is small and not as sweet as that grown in a warmer climate

• flowerpowereverett
    14 years ago

Yes, you can!! I visited my cousin in Portland mid-August, man was it hot! (well, technically they live West of Portland near North Plains, OR) ...I haven't tasted melons that good since I lived in Spokane! I am beginning to wonder if Portland should even be considered Zone 8 ;-) You are very lucky to live there - Enjoy!

• tcstoehr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not worth the effort? I disagree... it was very worthwhile. And didn't take up nearly as much room as winter squashes would have. I grow those too, quite avidly. But I'd like to have some melons in addition. Interestingly, the powdery mildew that now covers all of my summer and winter squash, hasn't touched my cantaloupes. I'm considering growing some more cantaloupe varieties next year. But I'm also considering the possibility that this summer's weather was unusually warm and conducive to melons, and maybe next year I won't be so lucky. Live and learn.