Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfstarfire

Fig Tree

mfstarfire
11 years ago

Can I have any luck planting a FIG tree here? we do get cold and snow? I lived in the bay afea of CA and had a wonderful Fig tree, I want one so bad. any help or advice? also I want a prickly pear cactus, anyone had luck with them??

Comments (4)

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    11 years ago

seems like the low temps would toast one.

growing in NJ, lots of old italian dudes would nurse them thru the winter by wrapping them. might work for you.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Certain low-growing prickly pears are native to the intermountain region, you can also grow hardy species from other areas. But none will be completely like taller growing, tender kinds seen in coastal California - if those are what you have in mind.

ZONE 2B: Warmer-summer intermountain climate

This is a zone that offers a good balance of long,warm summers and chilly winters,making it an excellent climate zone for commercial fruit growing. That�s why you�ll find orchards in this zone in almost every state in the West.You�ll also find this warm-summer, snowy-winter climate along Colorado�s Western Slope and mild parts of the Front Range; in Nevada from Reno to Fallon, then north to Lovelock; in large areas of northern Arizona and New Mexico; and in mild parts of the Columbia and Snake River basins. Winter temperatures are milder than in neighboring Zone 2a, minimums averaging from 12 to 22�F (�11 to �6�C),with extremes in the �10 to �20�F (�23 to �29�C) range. The growing season here in Zone 2b runs from 115 days in higher elevations and more northerly areas to more than 160 days in southeastern Colorado

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset climate zones: Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, and Idaho - Sunset.com

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

You can grow figs in Chicago - you just have to pick the right cultivar - so you should be able to do so in Klamath Falls ;-) Looks like Klamath Falls is a 6b/7a so certainly the Hardy Chicago cultivar (yes, that's its name) will work for you. One advantage of this variety is that it will produce fruit the next season after a complete topgrowth dieback, should that happen.

Raintree Nursery carries it, as well as a number of other figs recommended for the PNW

Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree Nursery

• noinwi
    11 years ago

I had a Desert King tree on the Kitsap Peninsula(before we moved), which I think was zone 7, but that may have changed in the last 10 years. It was originally purchased bare-root by a friend at a local big box(Lowe's or Home Depot). She dug it up(it's first year)and gave it to me when she suddenly had to move. I kept it in a large wooden box for two seasons and then planted it in the ground. It fruited like mad the following season(then we moved).