Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edgeworthia 'Ake Bono'

Posted by hallerlake Seattle (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 11:38

I got an Edgeworthia 'Ake Bono' for a steal this summer. I've read they don't like to be moved. Should I plant it now or wait until it's gone dormant? I potted it up when I bought it, so there should be plenty of room in the pot. I've also read that it wants full sun, a western exposure, and afternoon shade. What does it want here in the Seattle area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edgeworthia 'Ake Bono'

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 12:37

Akebono is one word and means daybreak or dawn etc. Edgeworthia tends to be slightly tender and should have a warm nook. There is probably some variation in hardiness, it seems the bigger-leaved forms that have been on the market are probably more delicate than the older, smaller-leaved type that was around to a limited extent here before these came on the market.

At the Seattle arboretum it was growing in a frame, although during the years I new the specimen I don't think the frame was being covered anymore.

It is true that the biggest specimen of one of the big-leaved forms I have seen was growing in the open, across the lane from the house, at Lakewold Gardens. It was near the lawn but the site does have stands of trees around it.

There was some kind of problem that made me think it might fail, something like a Hellacious mite infestation and maybe something else going on as well - I don't remember it specifically now.

I've also seen a row of low-pruned, almost tuft-like ones in a narrow curbside bed, think this was at Seattle University. Good blooming with this treatment seems doubtful.

o
Correction

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 22:40

"New" should be knew.

Obviously.

o
RE: Edgeworthia 'Ake Bono'

i have an edgeworthia that i have moved every year. it doesn't seem to mind much except that it requires a fair amount of extra water, even beyond what i would expect from keeping its roots relatively small. that might be where its reputation started.

i grow mine in full shade with some moments of dappled shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here