Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Brown flowers on Camellia

dottyinduncan
10 years ago

Are there any Camellias that don't turn brown when rain hits them? I asked this question on the camellia forum but answers from Texas kind as they are, don't understand the problems in PNW. So, ask our local experts!

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Camellia x williamsii cultivars tend to be good - although sun or frost may affect the flowers when the shrubs are in the open, same as with many other early-blooming kinds. Otherwise locally popular C. x vernalis 'Yuletide' seems to be quite durable.

Maybe what you have there is camellia petal blight rather than weather damage per se.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate your answer. I only have one C. and it is under the eave of the house. They are lovely shrubs however and I was hoping to get another one to put in an uncovered area. Do I understand you correctly, that it is sun on frost covered flowers that cause more browning rather than rain?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

You probably have camellia petal blight, hence the damage despite the overhang.

• botann
    10 years ago

Isn't Camellia Petal Blight more prevalent on japonicas rather than sasanquas?
    I don't have any japonicas, but my two sansanquas have never had Petal Blight. They bloom at different times. That might have something to do with it.
    Mike

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The C that is under the eave is fine. NO brown flowers. But, I want to buy another one and it will be out in the open, no eave protection.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Sun, rain and frost can all be problems for flowers of most varieties - sheltered positions best, except for certain ones that seem to be a little more tolerant, such as 'Yuletide'. Results vary with structure and coloring of flowers (white Japonicas often more delicate) as well as timing - ones that bloom earlier in fall (October) or later in spring do not get the rain and frost exposure that winter-blooming ones do; any that bloom from November on may really need to be under overhangs for the flowers to hold up.

Wild species generally woodland understory shrubs, where wind and sun exposure reduced by presence of larger trees. Most kinds tender, ones like C. japonica used in northern climates exceptional in this respect. C. sasanqua more warmth-loving than C. japonica, another reason to have it on a wall. There are also a few old, tree-sized Sasanquas (garden cultivars consist of actual forms of C. sasanqua as well as those of C. x hiemalis, C. x vernalis; generally the ones with pink or red flowers will belong to these last two hybrids rather than true C. sasanqua, which tends to be white) around, growing in full sun. I think all of those I have seen are earlier-blooming cultivars that make nice displays when there are pleasant autumn days, before the hammer falls in November.