Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy lots of 8'emerald green arborvitae

Posted by lhy1031 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 12:15

I would like to buy 40-50 8' tall emerald green arborvitae, preferrably delivered to my house in eastside of Seattle, where is the best place to buy this, I have about $1000 to spend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy lots of 8'emerald green arborvitae

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 13:27

Probably your budget is too small. Have you done any pricing yet? 8 ft. is pretty tall.

o

Yeah, tough to even find them wholesale at that price. You'll need to rethink your budget, the quantity or maybe most expedient to compromise on size - 4-5 footers are readily available and relatively inexpensive. You'll pay more for 5-6 footers, but they too are rather common. Quantities of larger sizes are at a premium and for a premium price.

Check out Smokey Point Plant Farm or even Lowe's or HD - they are usually plentiful and at a good price for size. The boxes may be able to special order the quantity you need; Smokey Point grows 'em.

o

$1000 is $25 each for 40 plants. That's low retail for a 4- or 5-foot arborv.

Yeah, 8-footers are going to cost more... but a 4- or 5-foot one, well planted and fertilized should add a couple of feet in a couple of years.

On the Eastside, I would stop by Angelo's (behind Uwajimaya on 156th) on a slow day and ask if they can meet your price.

You might also call Julius Rosso (at the north end of Boeing Field) and see what kind of price they'll give you on that many.

My hunch is that 40 or 50 sounds like a lot to the average homeowner, but to a landscaper, it's a typical order, so I wouldn't expect a nursery or grower to go below wholesale for that quantity.

o

Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 14:51

I wouldn't either.

o

Thursday I went to Flower World. 3' = $10.00; 4' = $17.00 (the measurement is tree only, not including the pot). I didn't look for anything taller, but assume you could call and ask for their prices. It's pretty slow on weekdays.

o

I just returned from Home Depot where 5 gal Emerald Green Arbovitae (4-5' tall) are $9.97 ea.

You may have to travel around to several HD's to find 40-50. But I just planted five of them. :)

Regards,

Jim

o

Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 19:54

Check for signs of having been allowed to dry out before purchasing.

o

Angelo's Nursery on 156th and 24th in Bellevue tends to have the best prices for generic landscaping plants, such as arborvitae and english laurel

o

When I was in Beaverton, a bit over a year ago, some wholesale nurseries like Lowe's had them for about $25 apiece for the 5' to 6' plants.

The 8' ones, can be in the 7 to 8 foot range, or the 8 foot to 10 foot range. If the 8' ones are in the latter, the are upwards of $80 to $100 each.

Consider 6' as the size to match your budget. Someone, somewhere, should have them for about $25 to $30 each.

Get them now. They are a drag to plant in late June through the summer. Losses can be high for many people. It's a big canopy on a small rootball in most cases.

o

Thank you for all the advice. I went to Angelo's on 156th and bought 25 of 7' ones, at $25 per tree. I hope they will survive the harsh, rocky soil where they have to be planted along the edge of the fence.

o

I know this is an old thread, but is Angelo's still open on the eastside? Their number is disconnected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here