Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drainage for area confined by wall and clay/rock fill?

Posted by garrai81 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 12:32

I have an area on the side of my house that is about 6 feet wide, and then there is a retaining wall.

See photo.

If you dig more than 2 inches down, the fill is clay and gravel.

I doubt that there is any drainage for the plants after a heavy rain. I added some plants last month, and I am concerned that the area will turn into a plant killing bathtub when the rains come. The rhodies in the photo are veterans, all the others are new.

Would it be a good idea to drill a hole or two in the concrete wall?

The house is on a gentle slope, hence the retaining wall (not built by us).

Thanks.

Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drainage for area confined by wall and clay/rock fill?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 13:17

What about the house? Is there water sometimes being held against the foundation, that might even start coming in during an exceptionally rainy spell? Example: one winter when there was so much rain we had a pond start to form on the front lawn - something I don't remember seeing before or since - the house across the street ended up having a waterfall coming into the basement.

As far as the plants are concerned the growth and survival of the rhododendron shows that conditions must be fairly acceptable as most kinds of rhododendrons must have good drainage.

o

Would it be a good idea to drill a hole or two in the concrete wall?

Definitely it can help. You drill near the bottom, and then insert a perforated plastic pipe in it. I have seen people do that when building retainer walls out of stone, which also can prevent the water logged ground from freezing and cracking the wall. By drainage, you solve that problem too.

o

you can also test the drainage using the old 5 gallon bucket of water test.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here