Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toad_ca

brown leaves on Pieris

toad_ca
12 years ago

I planted what I think is a Prelude Lily of the Valley Pieris japonica in spring. Since then, it has looked a bit odd. The leaves on some of the branches pull together and downward and then turn brown. It gets part sun. Below is a photo showing what the brown leaves look like. Can anyone help identify the problem and suggest a solution? Thank you!

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Maybe Phytophthora.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

More likely short of water. To verify, stick finger into an inch ofr so of the origianl rootball.

Need to put -- that is, drizzle -- water directly into rootball.

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks jean001a, but I'm afraid bboy is probably right. We dug it up and the roots--such as there are--are reddish and brittle. And since it was a new plant, I definitely kept it watered.

Most of the advice I've found on the web talks about replanting with a shrub that is resistant to Phytophthora. Unfortunately, I can't find a list of such plants. Any suggestions? I used the Pieris because I wanted an evergreen shrub in that particular spot.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Red roots don't equal root rot - black and dead roots do.

Further, newly planted plants (how long ago?) seldom go out rapidly with a disease.

Much more often the cause is abiotic -- that is, a non-living cause such as cultural.

Here's the list of Plants Susceptible to Phytophthora Diseases
    Genus Common Name
    Abies* - true fir
    Alnus - alder
    Arctostaphylos - kinnikinnick
    Brassica -cabbage
    Buxus* - boxwood
    Chamaecyparis* - Port-Orford-cedar
    Cornus* -dogwood
    Cotoneaster -cotoneaster
    Daphne* -daphne
    Erica -heath
    Fragaria* -strawberry
    Gaultheria -salal
    Ilex* -holly
    Juniperus* --juniper
    Kalmia mountain laurel
    Lycopersicon* -tomato
    Malus* -apple, crabapple
    Medicago -alfalfa
    Microbiota* --Russian cypress
    Pieris* -andromeda
    Pinus* -pine, mugo pine
    Prunus -cherry
    Pseudotsuga -Douglas-fir
    Rhododendron* -azalea, rhododendron
    Rosa -rose
    Rubus* -raspberry
    Solanum* -potato
    Tsuga* -hemlock
    Vaccinium* -blueberry, cranberry
    Viburnum -viburnum
    * = Commonly infected by Phytophthora

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

For more on this topic

Here is a link that might be useful: Pieris -- Root Rot and Dieback

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I transplanted one earlier this spring, one that I had for over ten years and though I tried, it died from drought...looked just like that. It was a small dwarf and I grabbed a huge rootball but it has been so dry...

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

buyorsell888,
    I know what you mean. This weather is brutal (boy, have I become a Northwesterner). But when we dug up this Pieris, the dirt around and within the rootball was thoroughly damp. Nothing else in the garden is showing the same signs. The Abelias and the Spirea right next to the Pieris are all doing fine.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

The image at the link for Pieris doesn't look the same as OP''s plant

Toad,
    Perhaps you took pictures of the rootball? (Probably not, but if you did, please post them.)

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi jean001a,

Sorry, but I don't know who "OP" is? Link?
    But if you put the photos of the dead pieris and the wilty one from bboy's OSU site together, you've got my plant.
    Actually, the leaves that were still green weren't wilting so much as pulled together, pointing straight down. and there was no apparent new growth at all on the plant, though it went in in early spring. Another one (from a different nursery and planted in a different bed) showed none of these symptoms and has had lots of new growth over the same period.

And, of course, I didn't think to take pictures of the rootball. Doh.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

OP means "Original Poster" the person who asked the question/started the thread.

• acarsess
    9 years ago

I live in the southern part of Louisiana and planted six Southern Lady Pieris sometime in the early spring. The leaves on two of them started turning brown during the summer and they died. I decided at that point that the issue was insufficient watering. It had been dry. I watered but it must not have been enough because of the heat as the bottom of the root ball was dry. I replaced them about a month ago and have been monitoring their watering. Yesterday I found that one of the two new ones is doing the same thing. I have checked to make sure that the root ball is damp, but not wet. The soil drains well. Four of the original plants are fine and growing. All are in the same bed. They get morning sun. They were in gallon pots if I remember correctly, so they are about 12-18 inches tall at this time. Anything I can do to try to save the one currently dropping the leaves? It still has stems with green leaves, but about half of the stems are bare.

• jlrobinson822
    last year

I have a similar thing happening to a pieris. Any chance you figured out what was happening and how to fix it?