Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brown leaves on Pieris

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 14:00

I planted what I think is a Prelude Lily of the Valley Pieris japonica in spring. Since then, it has looked a bit odd. The leaves on some of the branches pull together and downward and then turn brown. It gets part sun. Below is a photo showing what the brown leaves look like. Can anyone help identify the problem and suggest a solution? Thank you!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brown leaves on Pieris

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 23:11

Maybe Phytophthora.

o

More likely short of water. To verify, stick finger into an inch ofr so of the origianl rootball.

Need to put -- that is, drizzle -- water directly into rootball.

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 14:17

Thanks jean001a, but I'm afraid bboy is probably right. We dug it up and the roots--such as there are--are reddish and brittle. And since it was a new plant, I definitely kept it watered.

Most of the advice I've found on the web talks about replanting with a shrub that is resistant to Phytophthora. Unfortunately, I can't find a list of such plants. Any suggestions? I used the Pieris because I wanted an evergreen shrub in that particular spot.

o

Red roots don't equal root rot - black and dead roots do.

Further, newly planted plants (how long ago?) seldom go out rapidly with a disease.

Much more often the cause is abiotic -- that is, a non-living cause such as cultural.

Here's the list of Plants Susceptible to Phytophthora Diseases
Genus Common Name
Abies* - true fir
Alnus - alder
Arctostaphylos - kinnikinnick
Brassica -cabbage
Buxus* - boxwood
Chamaecyparis* - Port-Orford-cedar
Cornus* -dogwood
Cotoneaster -cotoneaster
Daphne* -daphne
Erica -heath
Fragaria* -strawberry
Gaultheria -salal
Ilex* -holly
Juniperus* --juniper
Kalmia mountain laurel
Lycopersicon* -tomato
Malus* -apple, crabapple
Medicago -alfalfa
Microbiota* --Russian cypress
Pieris* -andromeda
Pinus* -pine, mugo pine
Prunus -cherry
Pseudotsuga -Douglas-fir
Rhododendron* -azalea, rhododendron
Rosa -rose
Rubus* -raspberry
Solanum* -potato
Tsuga* -hemlock
Vaccinium* -blueberry, cranberry
Viburnum -viburnum
* = Commonly infected by Phytophthora

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 0:51

For more on this topic

Here is a link that might be useful: Pieris -- Root Rot and Dieback

o

I transplanted one earlier this spring, one that I had for over ten years and though I tried, it died from drought...looked just like that. It was a small dwarf and I grabbed a huge rootball but it has been so dry...

o

Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 18:19

buyorsell888,
I know what you mean. This weather is brutal (boy, have I become a Northwesterner). But when we dug up this Pieris, the dirt around and within the rootball was thoroughly damp. Nothing else in the garden is showing the same signs. The Abelias and the Spirea right next to the Pieris are all doing fine.

o

The image at the link for Pieris doesn't look the same as OP''s plant

Toad,
Perhaps you took pictures of the rootball? (Probably not, but if you did, please post them.)

o

Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 15:45

Hi jean001a,

Sorry, but I don't know who "OP" is? Link?
But if you put the photos of the dead pieris and the wilty one from bboy's OSU site together, you've got my plant.
Actually, the leaves that were still green weren't wilting so much as pulled together, pointing straight down. and there was no apparent new growth at all on the plant, though it went in in early spring. Another one (from a different nursery and planted in a different bed) showed none of these symptoms and has had lots of new growth over the same period.

And, of course, I didn't think to take pictures of the rootball. Doh.

o

OP means "Original Poster" the person who asked the question/started the thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here