Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

so sad

kaesgarden
9 years ago

Here is what i'm fighting. The NW as all know slugs and snails are prolific and i just walked outside and found this,i have no idea what this plant was as it was growing side by side to my foxglove but all the same. Seeing it makes me want to weep.

I took everyone's advice and have set out all sort of traps. I'm hoping to see less of this so i'm crossing my fingers.

Scarlet

Comments (5)

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Welcome to gardening in the PNW.
    Just be glad you don't have the pests I do.
    {{gwi:1047977}}
    Deer damaged to a Western Red Cedar. It's a goner.

{{gwi:1047978}}
    Deer damage to Red Alders. He was here last year in the background on the far right. These are going to be firewood, so not much real damage.

A bull elk turned this 12 ft. Japanese Maple in to a walking stick.
    This was one of my finer selected seedlings. :-(

And broke this Serbian Spruce in half.
    {{gwi:1047976}}
    The bull elk also rubbed this Pinus bungeana pretty good. This is above my head! I had to hold the camera as high as I could.
    Fencing is out of the question. I would have to fence 2100 ft., a lot of it on very steep ground. I'm up on a bluff. Limited funds, of course. My wife and I are 70 and retired.
    All in all, I consider it a minor inconvenience. Just part of living in the country.
    Mike

• planetes
    9 years ago

scarletsflowers, that picture is a little hard to tell but it appears to be something in the cucurbit family (cucumbers, squash, melons). Which, given how late in the season it is and the size of the plant it probably wouldn't have done much anyway before the first frost annihilates it.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, looking at your tree's its terrible! I'd be so devastated - i guess there's not much you can do, looks like you have a nice chunk of land on you. I suppose in many ways you do have it worse than me. Deer, bucks and the lot at least the slugs i dispose of.

planetes, thank you for that ID i had found some squash seeds some bird had brought in and i thought nothing of it. But in that case that would be a terrible place for it to grow. Ha.

• dottyinduncan
    9 years ago

Mike, I didn't realize you have such a deer problem -- yet you have such a beautiful garden. I'm almost ready to buy plastic flowers to put some colour back into mine, the little darling Bambis are all over the place and I can't fence either. I'm getting to like Salvias more and more because they are left alone and add colour in sunny spots. Now, if I could find something colourful for the shade???

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Scarlet, I just try not to grow plants slugs are attracted to. Easier said than done.

Dottie, yeah,...I have a deer problem , and elk too. So far I can live with it, but they're pushing their luck. They destroyed another tree the day before yesterday. A volunteer Doug Fir. Not a big deal. That's 6 they've killed or severely maimed, this season, and it's not over yet. Plus, I'm in a no shooting zone. The bull had been spotted with a yellow pail stuck on his antlers last week. This week it appears he lost it.
    Mike.....thinking motion sensor light, or radio, or both.