Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
List of editable for ...

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 14:36

Tired of gardening in PNW.
Want to compile a list of tree, bushes and so on with editable fruits that can stand against
a. Lower then average temp for our zone
b. Raccoons, rats, different kind of fruit flies including SWD, apple maggot, bay suckers.
c. Rains during the year, snowfalls in April
d. Partial neglect of tired owner

Year 2010 results
1. Tomatoes: mostly green, except those that are in small GH
2. Plums: destroyed by raccons
3. blueberries: eaten by rats.
4. raspberries: summer crop destroyed by SWD, current SWD joined with rain
5. apples: made a good dinner for apple maggots
6. grapes: still not ready for us to pick but raccons don't think so
7. black current berries became hosts for gooseberry flies

Will enjoy onion and garlic during winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: List of editable for ...

I heartily sympathize, briergardener. I have to fight voles, mole mounds and tunnels, deer, etc. for everything I grow. I had 2 mature squash plants killed by having the stems severed, I assume by voles, a first. I'm used to them nipping off my pole beans just because they are in the way, and wrap the bottoms with aluminum foil, but I planted some that I thought were bush beans in the middle of a mustard greens bed, and when they started to make runners I had to add bamboo for them to climb; part got nipped off by vile voles, but there were some doing well, and a couple of days ago I went out and most of the leaves had been nibbled off, I assume by deer that managed to find the gate open (bed surrounded by fence and bamboo) or else jumped over the top. So I know just how you feel... very discouraged. One nice thing- the greens- mustard and turnips- have been growing very well and yielding lots of greens starting at only 1 month, planted July 12. The voles have left them alone, though some of the leaves are getting holes now; I just cook them anyway. Some will live through the winter too. I have also been getting quite a few pole beans and runner beans from the plants with wrapped stems.

But I really like my Aronia berries, they are great as antioxidants, yield fabulously, I've seen just a little signs of SWD but very low, and had some traps up this year just of bottles with vinegar in them and I think the damage was actually less. Anyway, other berries I'm pursuing at present is barberries and Oregon Holly Grapes. I'm planning to start Berberis fendleri from seed, the berries are supposed to taste like tart cherries, and also some additional Mahonia, hopefully darwinii which has a nice berry, and already have the local wild and tall ones like aquifolium, nervosa, and repens. Anyway, Aronia fill up my freezer for a whole year of eating and beyond. I also freeze some blueberries, wild blackberries, raspberries, and I find very little codling moth and no apple maggot damage in the very early apple varieties like William's Pride.

I've found pears to be a lot lower in damage from insects than apples.

Here is a link that might be useful: fighting voles

o

thank you, hemnancy.
Are you saying that you used just plain vinegar?
I have traps with old wine + molasses, some SWD's are finding their way there but still almost all of fall raspberries are destroyed. Not sure where they came from again. At the beginning of fall season i did not see any damage and thought that my traps are working but they came again.
Aronia, sounds like a good choice. What are you doing with frozen aronia in winter?

o

Briergardener- I forgot, I was following a website recipe and it also had brewer's yeast, the closest thing I had to torula yeast. I think I threw in a couple of berries too. I had trouble last year with SWD in some red and black currants, and saw just a couple in Aronia, but they haven't bothered my raspberries, I don't know why. I'd like to think the traps made a difference this year, I don't know.

I used to cook the Aronia and add stevia and gelatin, but my son convinced me to eat them raw (or frozen) so now I just put them on a mixed fruit salad with yogurt or eat them with just yogurt, or whipping cream sweetened with stevia, and vanilla. So I eat them now without cooking. I just finished harvesting them today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here