Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting perennial seeds now

Posted by karan_in_oregon Zone 8 Oregon (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 14:59

Is this a good time to get perennials started so they will bloom next year?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting perennial seeds now

Some perennial seeds can be direct sown now, but I've found the winter sowing method is much more effective.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

o

barbe_wa
Thank you for the link.
I was just getting ahead of myself with things winding down. I am already thinking about next year.
It seems we went from hot summer in the 90s to fall in the 60s overnight.
I will WS the seeds I have collected.
Thank you again

o

I've been winter sowing perennial, annual and vegetable seeds for about 10 years now and am for the most part successful. If you check the FAQs, there is good information about which seeds work best. I like to experiment with pushing the envelope a bit so not everything I do makes it, but it's definitely a better method than direct sowing for just about everything. And the people on that forum are very helpful if you have questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here