Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Fuchsia pruning

Posted by leena1947 Sunset 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 16:02

I have a two-year old hardy fuchsia (I think it is a Sharpitor) that grew three five-foot, one inch thick canes this year. It's blooming prolifically. How do I prune it next spring? Does it bloom on new or old wood?
Thank you for any advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Fuchsia pruning

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 0:12

New, as you can see looking at it right now - if it bloomed on old wood only there wouldn't have been any flowers on all the growth made since spring.

If too arborescent for you cut down low early next spring. I wouldn't cut it back half way as that won't look good afterward - start it over or leave it as it is.

If there's a few bigger stems you don't like but the rest is acceptable just cut those and leave the rest.

Next you have to see what is left in the spring, if it gets cold enough most of the top may go back on its own anyway.

o

Hardy fuchsias tend to leaf out rather late. It is generally recommended not to prune them back hard until you see the new growth budding well into midspring.

o

I would not prune them right now. Wait til spring.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:35

You leave the top on for the winter, then cut or don't cut when you see new growth coming - and can tell if any of the held-over growth died back. Since the one you have is an F. magellanica it may hold most of the top for multiple years in a row - it all depends on how cold it gets each year - on your planting site.

o

Thank you all for great advice! I'll leave them be till next spring and wait till I see new growth. I would like the fuchsia to stay about the size it is now. It really looks like a three-stemmed little tree!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here