Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's making that noise at night?

Posted by westover Portland OR (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 05 at 16:23

Something chirps for much of the night behind my house. I absently thought "cricket" -- but then realized I have never seen a cricket in Portland. When I was a kid in the South, we heard crickets and we also saw them. Then I wondered if it might be a "tree frog"? We had those in the South and almost never saw them. Does anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's making that noise at night?

Not a frog this time of year. We do have tree crickets here, and katydids. Tree frogs usually start up in January but are quiet now. Tree crickets are very small and hard to see and they're up in the bushes and trees.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 14, 05 at 20:04

Regular, persistent chirping coming from grassy areas, like fields and lawns would be field crickets. They are dark and small, can take some effort to see.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 14, 05 at 22:27

Excuuuuse me. Not a tree frog? Hmmmm.

My resident tree frog has been singing off and on for the past 2 weeks. Seems to be happy, even though out of season.

o

Crickets have a repeated two-note chirp, the frequency of repetition depends on the temperature. They are commonly heard in Portland August-early October. In some years hundreds make a chorus in filbert trees some blocks away.

Katydids have a continuous trill that may last for a minute or longer. There are long pauses. One has been sounding off for weeks now in a potentilla-filled parking strip out front.

o

Our frogs are still vocal too, every day. Not like spring with a bunch of them, but 2 or 3 at a time. We always hear the crickets in the fall; it signals the coming of fall for me.

o

Tree frogs at work are still carrying a tune, specially late day after a drizzle or recent watering. They seem to be unusually active right now, venturing further afield from their normal haunts. They continue to startle the wits out of me, leaping out of pots getting moved on the nursery tables. Not a good thing for an old lady's blood pressure :-)

o

We have a lone cricket also (west Vancouver, just across from Portland). I love falling asleep to the sound; it's one I've heard all my life and I love it.

I don't see anywhere near the numbers of crickets here that I had in the Midwest (hundreds, if not more, every night), but I at least partly attribute that to the fact that I was out in the country and now I'm in an urban area. It may be that they just aren't as prolific here, too.

Whatever your critter, hope you're enjoying! :)

o

I found this little guy in my Livin' Easy tree rose just a couple of weeks ago - ironically I jumped and he didn't!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Last night, one cricket and one katydid were sounding off near the street out front--it made for an easy comparison.

o

Laura,that's a great photo. We had a pair of them living under the porch swing cushion all summer; not the best place for them! Someone ended up sitting on one, poor little guy.

o

I live right across the river in north Clark County. Every year I find that the crickets start about 6 weeks before our first light frost. This year I heard them first on 8/18, about the same time as the first chickadee and nuthatch sightings. Back east as a kid the katydid's started 6 weeks before frost...I miss the katydids....I've lived here since '74 and I've never heard one. jwww

o

We've had a few crickets this year... and we still have frogs also. Much quieter than spring, but still there. Found a tre frog a few weeks ago when we were picking blackberries, resting on a leaf.

o

I've never noticed crickets here in my Seattle neighborhood until this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here