Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maude143_gw

Tulip help

Maude143
10 years ago

I have been trying for a number of years to get rid of Peruvian Lily that has taken over my front garden. Nothing has worked so I've emptied out the bed and am going to use Round Up or something similar. I have a lot of tulip bulbs that I have dug up. Can I store them over the winter, plant them in the spring and get flowers this upcoming spring? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Best to plant them again now. You could store them but really don't achieve any benefit from that and replanting in spring is too late to expect any flowering.

Is there another location you could pick? Maybe in containers? IME, many tulips do not return with nearly the same vigor as with their original planting so I tend to replant fresh pretty much every fall and relocate the old bulbs where I don't mind if they produce well or not.

FWIW, even replanting the bulbs in the same area could work depending on when you are anticipating the RoundUp maneuver - it should have no effect on bulbs in the ground........only if foliage is showing.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

First of all, using Roun Up is not a good idea, at least in this case. Round Up works when sprayed on broad leaf weed.

Second: Bulbls like tulips need to overwinter for best results.
    So you can plant them anytime from mid October till around Thanksgiving. If you want bigger blooms, add 1/2 spoonful of bonemeal at the bottom of each hole.

• buyorsell888
    10 years ago

By Peruvian Lilies do you mean Altroemeria? Not a lily and not a bulb....

Coating the foliage with Round Up should kill them...spraying the soil is just wasting your money.