Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tejasjjain

Wanted: new plants/trees/ideas for new garden

TejasJjain
12 years ago

I jave about half acre land ( we needed to clear bush etc). So I am looking for idea. I woudl love to do vegetabel gardening but I do not have esource for thsi muh land. May be I can start with small aeas. Please direct me to any resource where I get free plants etc....

I am in Redmond area so will not be able to come to Olympia trade.

Let me know if ther eis nurery etc where I can buy planst instaed of home depot...

Looking forward to response

Comments (12)

• Merilia
    12 years ago

I don't know about free plants, but growing veggies from seeds is quite inexpensive.

If you're in Redmond, you should check out Molbaks in Woodinville and Flower World in Maltby. Molbak's is closer to you and has more knowledgeable staff, but a bit pricier too. They also sell a lot of home items and accessories, but these tend to be horribly overpriced IMHO. Flower World is less fancy, is further away, and isn't always good about labeling their cultivars, but has generally lower prices and a wider selection of actual plants (especially fuchsias and shrubs). Both stores are large enough that you can get lost in them, and you can expect high quality plants from them.

Molbak's
    Flower World

• TejasJjain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Merilia,
    I also wanted to know how to get started in terms of understanding trees/plants for this area.
    I mean I know some common plants but now I need more info such as flowering plants etc. Let m eknow if you have any book in mind.

Thanks

• Merilia
    12 years ago

The great thing about this area is that we can grow a very wide range of plants, but obviously some will do better than others. If you're looking for ideas on what plants to grow, your best bet is probably to head to somewhere like the Washington Park Arboretum or the nurseries I mentioned and look around. Also, I bet any neighbors with gardens you like the look of would love to give you advice or at least tell you about the plants they grow.

A good web resource to check out is www.greatplantpicks.org

I haven't found too many books I really like about PNW plant selection specifically. I think Marty Wingate's "The Big Book of Northwest Perennials" could be useful for picking perennials that do well here, but the photos are not that helpful--all macro shots that tell you nothing about a plant's habit or scale. When it comes to roses and shrubs, I mostly research them individually online or in specialized books. Of course, that requires you to already have some idea of what you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Plant Picks

• botann
    12 years ago

My advice is to join a local garden club.
    You will get all the information you need and all the free plants you can handle.
    Mike

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

Go to the Northwest Garden Exchange forum.
    ask about exchanging something for plants.
    Then plan to come to the Green elephant Plant trade first Sat in November in Redmond.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant trade

• dottyinduncan
    12 years ago

You're certainly looking for free plants at the right time of year. Lots of people are dividing overgrown perennials now and will have extras.

• TejasJjain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. I have some reading to do as suggested in comments.
    I hve not recived and 'free plant' but I have started learning.

• les1238
    12 years ago

This site has some awesome guidance about low maintenance, low impact, native plant gardening. Breaks it out for water/shade variations too, which is priceless.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/stewardship/nw-yard-and-garden.aspx

• katew1
    11 years ago

Hi...you can subscribe to a gardening magazine, buy a few good reference books and jot down the names of plants you like. By reading, writing and planning before planting season, you will know what kind of garden you want to grow come spring.

Or another option is to hire a landscaping company ti help you have a lush green garden. The choice is yours

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening tips

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

You said you can't attend the Olympia trade, but maybe you could make it to this one. There are always lots of "freebies" if you don't have plants or seeds to trade and goodies are always welcome, especially chocolate. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Green Elephant Trade

• locust8
    11 years ago

Craigslist. Tons of free plants. I gave several of my perennial divisions away on CL.

Recommended all around book: American Horticultural Society's Northwest SmartRegion Guide. You can look it up on Amazon. Several cheap used copies available. It's a good pictorial starter guide. Nice clear photos and is organized in a helpful way--by both tree sizes and flowering preferences and perennial colors and habitats.

Good luck!

• debbylipp
    10 years ago

Also the King County Master Gardeners can help with information from the Washington State University Extension Program with information specific to your area.