Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrai81

Pruning Blackberries and Raspberries

garrai81
9 years ago

I have tried to collect some info on pruning berry plants, but there are some conflicting web sites out there.

Is this correct?

Blackberries (Apache and Ouachita)

Spring
Prune each main cane back to 3-4 feet.
Thin canes to about 5 - 7 per plant.
Tie the pruned canes to your fencing.
Cut back side branches to 1 foot, leaving five or six buds on each.

Midsummer
Erect and semi-erect varieties should be tipped or cut back to 3-4�. This forces lateral branches to emerge from buds below this point.
Prune off the tips of new canes to keep the plants between three to four feet tall.

Shortly after Harvest
Prune to 4 inches all canes that bore fruit.

Late Fall
Cut back the laterals to 16-18".

---

Amity Raspberries

Late Winter
Prune all the two year old canes to the ground and just prune the top half of the primo canes from the previous season.

Thanks.

Mac

Comments (8)

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

The raspberry instructions are fine; the two-year-old canes can be pruned anytime after they have been harvested. although if there are a lot of green leaves remaining, that can benefit the planting.

For erect blackberries such as Apache and Ouachita, your pruning summary above is standard. It is intended to create a plant that requires little or no support from a stake or trellis, that is why the laterals are pruned so short. I don't know what "Tie the pruned canes to your fencing" means with respect to blackberry training. Perhaps you meant trellis. With this pruning style, the most that would be needed is one central stake per clump of canes. This pruning method means you will be relying on a large number of canes to generate a large crop. Otherwise blackberries can be allowed to run wild, they will form fruit all along the length of the lateral no matter how long it gets. Most people do not need or want that many berries.

It may be well into June or even July before your canes are tall enough here to prune; let them get one or two feet taller than your target height so that the top is sturdy enough to bear laterals. You can certainly do the thinning in spring if sprouts are numerous. Let them get big enough so that the stronger ones become apparent.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Who are you quoting in the original post? Have you looked at any information from OSU Cooperative Extension? There might be something for you there, as a public agency they are supposed to be giving people the straight dope.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

This from OSU publications -- see link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Raspberries in Your Home Garden

• garrai81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is partly from OSU.

These plants are about 4 feet apart in a row with a couple horizontal wires to form a support structure.

I guess letting them "run wild" would not work, since there is not enough room in the row or around them (since they are in a garden).

Maybe I don't need the horizontal wires to form a support structure.

Thanks again.
    best,
    Mac

• garrai81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a follow-up about the Amity Raspberries.

They love to send up shoots about a foot or so from the mother plant. Some of those are now a foot tall or more.

If I want to allow some of those to turn into something that will produce fruit next year, what should I do? Leave them or prune them back somewhat this fall?

Thanks.
    Mac

This post was edited by garrai81 on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 15:47

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

I wouldn't prune any canes that small.
    ----------------
    The "run wild" comment was meant to demonstrate that blackberries do not have to be pruned at all. Most people let their laterals run several feet and use the horizontal wire system for support.

In your case with very short-pruned laterals, there would be nothing for the horizontal wires to do. The raspberries might benefit from them.

Many people find the Apache and Ouachita varieties too tart for their taste (Fruit & Orchards forum discussions). If you eventually find that is the case for you, The Triple Crown variety is reliably sweet.

• garrai81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Larry,

I did not quite understand this comment:

"It may be well into June or even July before your canes are tall enough here to prune; let them get one or two feet taller than your target height so that the top is sturdy enough to bear laterals. You can certainly do the thinning in spring if sprouts are numerous. Let them get big enough so that the stronger ones become apparent."

What text is this in reference to?
    Blackberries in Spring?

Thanks.

Mac

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Yes, blackberries.