Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluedogrose

Seattle Garden Shed

bluedogrose
18 years ago

I am researching my new idea to build a garden shed/painting studio in the yard, I love the idea of being able to paint without the fumes permeating the house, and having someplace to store some garden things. Problem number one is that I'm an artist with a fairly tight budget (cheaper is better, but I am willing to save/be in debt for good quality) Number 2 is my capentry experience is limited to assembling Ikea furniture. I can however pour footings for a foundation, concrete is my friend since I have been doing sculpture with it for years now. I have found that I can build a 10 x 12 shed without a permit in Seattle, and don't need electric or water in the shed at this time. There are lots of plans on line (popular mechanics)which I find rather intimidating. There are also shed kits out there but they seem a bit pricey. Has anyone experience in building a shed? Did you have a contractor do it? What was the cost? Did you do it yourself? Did you buy a kit? Do you know of any local companies you can recommend (or I should avoid)? I hope to start next Spring/summer, so any feedback is welcome, and Thanks!

Oh- ideally, I'd like a wood structure (no metal or plastic) with lots of windows. And I don't have a truck or vehicle access to the yard, so it will need to be assembled on-site.

Comments (10)

• Ratherbgardening
    18 years ago

There might be some businesses that recycle building materials where you could get windows and doors, maybe even some lumber, cabinets, etc. No help in getting you started, I know, but just wanted to mention it as a way to save some money.

• pgtips
    18 years ago

I have a friend who built a garden shed/greenhouse, using a surplus Metro Bus shelter as a base. The natural light is fantastic, and the materials weren't expensive at all. You might check w/metro.

• ell_in_or
    18 years ago

We had an 8x10 foot wood structure shed built for us. It is not on a poured foundation, but has footings. I believe it cost right around $1,000, has a small clear plastic vent at the top for light and a small window that opens (not suitable for fumes inside, too small). It is unfinished on the inside, has a plywood floor, a shelf in the joists for exta stuff and a potting bench. I has siding, and a shingle roof. The siding was already primered ready for painting. They drove up, unloaded, plugged in the power tools, made lots of noise, and were driving-away-done in 3 hours flat. It was amazing. If you would like a similar structure, go to a couple home shows in the spring, there will probably be at least 2 companies at each show, and then check them out through their references and the BBB. They will likely charge you extra for deviations from their standard plans, but the company we worked with was reasonable. We got a different door, and it was very little different than what I would have paid at Lowe's.

Since you have time, you could get yourself a few books from the library on shed building, how to frame for a window and a door, and then start checking to see what all is available out there. Since you're an artist, you definitely have the skills to think up a funky space that is really 'you'. Maybe a whole side that is a garage door that can open up, maybe use 5 different scrap windows along one wall. Once you dream it up, you can then use the how-to books to put it together. The joists will be the most complicated, and you can purchase those ready made.

Does your area have a version of a building materials reclamation center? You could really get your shop done for super cheap if you do. Check out this site. If you can zoom in on the picture a little, they used all different sizes of windows on their south facing wall.

If you have a local handyman, you could probably get some help with the building, and some good pointers on construction.

Good luck!!

• albertine
    18 years ago

If you are friends with concrete, are you also friends with clay? How about researching cob structures? They are all the rage here in Portland - call the Rebuilding Center on Mississippi Ave for information on who to contact. People have been making them since housing began. If you aren't familiar with the process, it's basically an adobe material worked around a wooden framework - woven sticks or something. With an adequate foundation and roof overhang it should be fine.

• Lynn9
    18 years ago

I'm in the process of finishing a 10 x 10 (10x12 including walkway) wooden addition to my trailer. Like you I have experience in sculpture but not carpentry. I did OK- I asked my neighbors who are carpenters for advice on things and looked on the internet. It ain't too pretty but it's solid and square. The nice thing about having experience with sculpture is that when you make a big mistake you can generally figure out something to compensate for it fairly well :)

A predesigned plan or even just dimensions made by someone who's a carpenter is a very good idea. A lot of stuff has to overlap or extend 2 inches here and there and unless you know that you'll find lots of little considerations midway through some steps.

It is a lot of work and research if you don't have the experience. And costly. $1,000 to have one built is a very good price. Mine has full insulation and electricity and I think it must have added up to that if I include tools I had to buy and all the small odds and ends like nails, staples, paint, primer etc. And I payed someone to hang 2 doors- didn't want to do that myself. It took me a heck of a long time to build.

I got a lot of plywood and some 2x4s free that were left over concrete forms after a bridge was built. That saved probley several hundred dollars. At the time there was a plywood shortage and 5/8ths was going for about $50 a sheet down here. Now it's gone down again.

Keep an eye on lumber and material prices. I'd advise getting as much material as you can right now, preferably free. Spend more energy now on getting the stuff rather than building. Everything will go up in price if the gas goes up, and construction material has gotten very expensive. If your health and energy levels are good maybe adobe is the way to go- I think it's cheaper. Look into prices of sealant though... And check how to do venting, for condensation etc. If you're an artist the last thing you want is mold.

Maybe build a higher roof than you think you need too- you can always put shelves up or a loft for storage. You'll find when you're done that 10 x 10 isn't all that big once you get all your stuff in there!

Oh, and you probley kno, but most lumber and construction materials measurements are NOT what they say they are. A 2x4 is somewhere around 1 1/2 x 3, but not always. Same goes for roofing shingles etc. Check nails to make sure they go the right depth etc if a project needs no nails protruding. Nails seem to be behind the lumber in this...

Good luck, you'll have fun!

• Lynn9
    18 years ago

Here's an online lumber price guide I used, although lumber here is generally more expensive... Be sure to check the date- this guy does update but not frequently.

If you don't plan on heating, a fiberglass roof is a lot cheaper than ply and asphalt and the cheaper greenhouse grade gives great diffused light. If you do plan on ply and asphalt, now or later, if you plan for the roof supports to go where the plywood ends it's less work and expense. I didn't, and also didn't plan for a 2 inch overhang and spent more time than needed.

Lexel (polyeurothane? polyethelene? -paste tube)is a heck of a lot better than silicon for sealing gaps at doors etc. It's more expensive and more toxic but you probley only need it every 6 to 15 years rather than every 2 (!!) years. So it's actually less of both. I know about silicon- older trailers need extra sealant. Lexel is great for sealing holes in used fiberglass roofing too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lumber & Plywood Estimating Price Guide

• lazaj
    16 years ago

This blog might help you out. It gives you a price estimate, material list, cutting list. You can modify this shed, make it bigger, add a window. This is a free step-by-step guide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free storage shed plans

• daphnexduck
    16 years ago

My experience was similar to that of El in Or. I looked and looked at sheds, and finally found a wooden one at Lumberman's. Mine is 10x12 without windows. It's been a while, but I think the base price was about $700 with an extra $125 to have it delivered and put up on footings. The best $125 I've spent since moving into my house! Took the two men about 2 l/2 hours.

The window is real, but just attached onto the outside for looks. I painted curtains on the glass, and my son and I painted the stripes - just for fun.

Daphne in Tacoma

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

You can find surplus windows and glass at yard sales. A greenhouse / conservatory structure would let in lots of light and you can surround your work area with plants.

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

I would plan to put electricity into it, even by using an extension cord. Our winters are far too damp and dark so light is important and a little heat is great.