Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaybradj_gw

Creeping Myrtle

kaybradj
11 years ago

I see this plant all over town in parking lots and gardens in the front of commercial building. And you cant take a stroll through the garden section of a big box store without seeing lots of it for sale.

Are there any issues with it for home gardening? I have a few areas where I think it could work and it seems low maintenance but I want to be sure that it's not going to end in tears (mine)

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Presumably you are asking about Vinca minor, it can have a blight problem under some conditions. One of those plants often afflicted in retail settings but not so often out in the planted landscape.

However, a thing about it in the general landscape that bothers me is that there are some large patches on local wooded sites where it it is growing in the place of native plants.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Best in at least partial shade - becomes chlorotic and grows weakly in much sun. I've not seen it loose in the environment here as bboy has but it wouldn't surprise me. Since it seems only to spread by its rooting stems, planting it at a safe distance away from any naturally wooded areas is prudent.

If well-sited, it will spread easily, perhaps even rampantly, but is very easy to remove where not wanted. Much easier than a lot of other groundcovers I could name :-)

• kaybradj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

awesome, thanks garendgal48.

• reg_pnw7
    11 years ago

Low maintenance = potentially invasive, unfortunately. And yes Vinca major and minor both are found growing wild in natural areas despite spreading only by rooted runners. In my case, I have V. major at a couple of wildlife areas I manage where it's persisting from a previous homestead. And spreading. Aggressively. In nearly full sun. Forming a monoculture. This where the homestead has been gone for decades. Almost as bad as ivy, though not so fast, and it doesn't climb trees.

In home gardens most people use V. minor. I've had problems with it being aggressive and tenacious there. It swamps the shrubs it's planted under, climbing up into the lower branches, smothering the root zone. And the roots are tenacious, you can't just pull it out. It's true it won't spread from seed, but it manages to pop up in unexpected places anyway, clumps of soil with root being moved around by shovels or moles or garden debris composting or whatever. I guess it would be ok in a parking strip or some other contained area that gets some foot traffic, it will tolerate some walking on. I wouldn't use it where I have other things planted too.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    11 years ago

i have vinca major on my property and can't get rid of it. pulls out easily enough, but leaves enough root mass to just pop up again in a few months.

it crawled under my fence and invaded my neighbor's border as well.

i would never plant it on purpose.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Everyone has different experiences and opinions on groundcovers. In many cases, tenacity and persistance is considered a plus feature. I grew Vinca minor in my fenced woodland garden (no chance of escape) and it never smothered anything. Even weeds were able to grow through it although they were significantly fewer than if the area were left bare. I had no trouble removing it from a mulched pathway. Vinca major is a horse of a different color - I would not consider the two species comparable at all.

Now if we want to talk about difficult to control and smothering plants, I'd vote for sweet woodruff, Galium odoratum. I rue the day I ever considered planting that weed!!

btw, low maintenance does not necessarily translate to potentially invasive.