Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeybees?

Posted by kathy_whatcomco_wa (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 18:59

This year we seem to have many more honeybees than the last few. My asters are covered in them, and there are hardly any bumblebees, like we've had in the past few years. Is this just statistical noise or are other people noticing this too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeybees?

Bumblebee populations are more likely to be statistical noise.

I am now within 1/2 mile of people with 50 honeybee boxes, hence the increase in those bees for the past 3 years here.

Perhaps there are new bee hobbyists in your area also.

Or all it would take is one "wild honeybee" tree hive that relocated near you this year.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 13:48

Our tall Autumn Joy sedums have been covered in honeybees when the sun is shining directly on the blooms, so I stay clear to avoid accidentally bumping them & getting stung. It's unbelievable that each bee only makes one-sixteenth of a teaspoon in a lifetime according to an article in the monthly Costco magazine.

The honeybees are active on the ornamental oregano in bloom and a few other plants, too.

Earlier this year we saw lots of bumblebees on kale and onion chives in flower. I still see an occasional.

So far this year I've not seen many yellow jackets. Maybe it's too hot & dry for them, too.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 15:29

I too have noticed a lot of Honeybees on the Autumn Joy the last few days. It's good to see them.
A neighbor, who lives down the bluff from me, came up and warned me about a bear that's been bothering his hives. The bear will probably strip my next door neighbor of his pears, as has been done in years past.
I have found one Yellow Jacket nest, and it's a little bigger than a bowling ball. It's in an out of the way place so I'm going to leave it alone. So far, I haven't been bothered by them when eating outside, so I guess there aren't as many this year as usual here.
Mike

o

I have also noticed a lot more Honeybees this year, which is nice to see. They typically are on my asters, Roseanne Geranium, sneezeweeds, rubekia,golden rod, oregano and caryopteris every year, but this year for some reason my Perky Pet Hummingbird feeders have been so smothered by honeybees I had to take them down! Also noticing lots more Bald-faced hornets than normal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here