Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooserider

Replacing Lawn - Seeing advice

mooserider
12 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forums here and would love some advice. I live in Seattle (Capital Hill) and just bought a house. The first thing I did was start digging up the lawn with the intent to replace it with mostly native species (especially lots of berry bushes). I dug up every square inch of the lawn about 10 inches deep (the depth of the shovel), then shook out each clump of grass to get all the dirt out of it. So now I have a completely empty yard with nothing but dirt, with winter approaching quickly (it'll be a mud pit soon if I don't hurry).

I have a lot of questions, but primarily I like to would know what kind of soil or compost to put on top. I was thinking something like Cedar Grove Compost. Four to six inches or so? On top of that I will be putting wood chips (I realize there are concerns about nitrogen with the chips).

Mainly I want to get it prepared for the spring, and also make it so that it's not just dirt all winter so the neighbors won't complain. I plan on putting cardboard across the whole lawn, then put the compost on top of that, then the wood chips on top of that. And then let it sit until the spring.

Is there anything to be concerned about in this plan? Something that might catch me next year that I didn't think of. And what kind of soil (like three-way) should I get, or should I just go with compost?

Also, I'm composting all the sod I shook out. Is there a good way to get that composting quickly, as I'm guessing it will take a long time (even though I mixed in a little dirt and a lot of browns.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

So it's not bare soil all winter, plant a cover crop within the next 2 weeks then, come spring turn it under. You'll be good to go 3 or 4 weeks after that.

While you wait for spring, you can draw up your plan so that you'll know what goes where and how it will fit.

• mooserider
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I'll look into cover crops. Thanks Jean! Also, I've been slowly buying some plants here and there... some I have in gallon pots in my back yard. All are perennials. Should I plant these for the winter and then move them in the spring, or keep them in pots over the winter?

Thanks for any advice!

• jean001a
    12 years ago

You could sink the pots in the ground; if not, you'll have to protect them because roots are more sensitive to cold than are tops.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Hope this answers your questions.

young plants in pots:
    They'll have a better chance of surviving the winter if you at least sink the whole pots into the ground or better plant out in a corner of good draining soil you create making a nursery bed with good labels & draw up a map of what you're planting. On a nice day in March it will be easy to move them to your new planting bed.

composting the grass & roots:
    Might need more nitrogen, turning, or moisture. This time of year a well built pile heats up nicely if also kept covered.

layers over cardboard:
    great way to go & even better to cover with burlap bags from coffee roasters. On the soil forum they have info about Interbay mulch which uses the burlap bags. We've done several gardens that way & if you prep the soil well the plants will really take off.

Another idea is layer manure + bedding mix on top of cardboard under the wood chips. Might get some free off Craiglist. True that the arborist chips will take a few years to break down, but you can rake them aside before planting into the rich soil below if you add enough organic materials underneath.

Expect slugs if using coarse wood chips as you'll have hiding places for them. The iron phosphate baits work as does ammonia water sprays.

For our perennials & shrubs we've used lots of the granular free load it up yourself anytime Sumner Grow, class A biosolids in Sumner as top dressing under other mulch as well as mixed into top 6" of soil in new planting bed.

Wear a mask, gloves, & bring lots of heavy duty bags or buckets with lids if you're putting in a vehicle or cover with a tarp if using a truck. Call ahead & they will load it directly into the pick up bed. It's worth it if you can do that as it's dense & heavy even though dry. Lots of info if do a web search on it.

Check out the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange forum for info on free plant swaps coming up in the Seattle area.

Here is a link that might be useful: spring planted garden pics

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    12 years ago

i would lean to a cover crop mix, or just covering the whole thing in arborist chips.

• mooserider
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey you guys, I just wanted to say thanks for the replies. Gives me a lot of info to look into and things to check up on! I really appreciate it!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz