Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lfrj_gw

Grape Vine from a grape vine clipping?

lfrj
17 years ago

My co-worker took me out to her parents place, which will eventually be subdivded and dozed over. Ah, progress... Her mother, over the years had propagated a virtual wall of delicious purple seedless grapes. My coworker said she had success in creating a start from a clipping and offered me a vine. SInce this was on impulse and we had no shears, she hacked it off best she could at the stem end - somewhat woody there - and we managed to get the gaping 13' monster in my car whereupon we plunged the cut end into a BigGulp cup of water until I could get it home.

It appeared to have wilted some by the time I arrived home, so I gave it another clean cut at the stem and resubmerged it in water. What can I do from here to get it to start?

My co-worker had luck leaving the clipping in water for a few days then plugging straight into the dirt. Her clipping was much shorter however.

THanks for the advice.

LF

(I will post also on the Fruit growers forum, but not sure if advice from say our friends from Napa Valley will be applicable here in the wet Northwest).

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

No point in leaving it in water for days. Will probably just lose nutrients to the water. Since it is in leaf you should try probably try rooting it under plastic or glass, or wait if you can and go back later when the leaves are off, insert some of those hardwood cuttings into loose soil outdoors.

• grant_in_seattle
    17 years ago

Hah! Got to love those Big Gulp cups (or Starbuck's iced coffee cups) etc. I always keep a stash of them (and a gallon of water, ziploc bags, pruners) in my trunk for just such emergencies!

If your vine is 13 feet, I'd say "mix it up" and try some in water and some in soil, though like Ron said, I'd suggest covering it in the soil if it has leaves still. I've had terrific luck rooting grapes while they're dormant by just sticking them in soil outdoors early winter through just befor bud-break, but I've never tried rooting one when in leaf.

Hopefully yours will root for you. If not, maybe your friend can go back and get some cuttings when the plant is dormant?

In any case, I hope you let us know what our California grape growing friends suggest, and what you try, and how it works out. I'm very curious since I've never tried rooting them when they've got leaves.

Good luck!
    Grant

• lfrj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Friends.

I didn't know that more success may be gained from waiting until the plant went dormant. This is how we learn. I'm so grateful for these forums!

I'm uncertain that I can return to the property later as i was a guest there.

Not to be dense, but just to clarify: the recommendation of rooting under glass or plastics means heap some loose soil over the woody end and cover with plastic or glass for greenhouse effect? ALso, 'mixing it up' entails cutting the 13 footer into more pieces for experimentation, yes?.

We raise geese and I have to say, their used bedding has made EXCELLENT compost in our vegetable garden this summer. If nutrients is a factor, would mixing a small amount of their mulch into the loose soil be helpful?

Thanks. Haven't heard (yet) from any contributors over on the "fruit" forum.

-LF

• madrone
    17 years ago

I have rooted cuttings from softwood before, but usually this is done in early summer. I would suggest you do a combination of both softwood and hardwood cuttings in different pots. You might have more success with the softwood cutting if you keep the pot covered in plastic for awhile yet. The hardwood cutting should be 8 inches long while the softwood is usally shorter. I have always rooted mine in a sand, and submerged the pots with the hardwood cuttings in the ground in a well-drained spot over the winter. New growth will be apparent in spring for those where the cuttings have taken. You can then plant them where you intend to grow them. Remember, grapes do best in poorer soil. If it is too fertile, they will produce lots of growth but little fruit.

• grant_in_seattle
    17 years ago

This is a fun little experiment so definitely keep us posted. I think we're all learning something here. :)

Rooting under glass in this case, to me, means cutting a short section of stem, sticking it either in to a pot of good potting soil, or sticking it in to the ground, and then watering well and either covering the cutting/stem with a bell jar, glass, or plastic bag etc to make a mini-greenhouse. If you have 14 feet to work with, yes "mixing it up" would mean hacking it in to smaller pieces and trying different strategies. If it was mine, I'd cut it in to 12 inch sections (keeping track of which end was pointed to the original roots and which was pointed to the branch tip) and I'd try different strategies: rooting in water indoors, rooting in water outdoors, rooting in potting soil indoors, rooting in potting soil outdoors (covered), sticking some in soil outdoors (maybe some with, or some without, the little greenhouses), and so on, just to improve your chances for success. I bet you'll get some success from one of these methods. I wouldn't add manure etc to the soil where you're rooting them--sometings that can encourage rot or burn etc. I'm sure they'll love it once they're rooted and you're ready to plant them to their new permanent home.

Keep the updates coming as I'd love to know what method succeeds for you since I've always rooted only dormant stems (and quite lazily at that with a gentle shove of the stem in to the ground or potting soil in winter).

Take care and super good luck!
    Grant

• plantknitter
    17 years ago

While this thread has the attention of those familiar with grape vines--is there such a thing as an evergreen grape vine?

No grapes needed, just the evergreen vine.

I need whatever tall vines I can find to grow into the trees to help block the downhill view of a soon to be new development.

• aj.henkster
    15 years ago

I was walking down the street today and i stumbled upon a fairly sized grapevine, and also a small raspberry bush,i also noticed that the plants were sticking out onto the sidewalk, a couple of months prior i "stole" a couple clippings from my aunt and i stuck them into some water and hoped that they would root so that i could start a grapevine.sadly after a couple of weeks the grapevine died and i threw the clippings away, i assume it was the heat that killed the plant. after i got home today i put both of the clippings into some water and placed them onto a sunny window. after that i searched on the internet for ways to root grape vines.. people keep on talking about how its best to grow grape vine clippings from dormant clippings, and the one i have now i dont think is dormant because it has leaves, but no fruit. how should i root it? do i put it into the fridge and wait for it to turn brown? i really dont know..someone please help me!!

• dottyinduncan
    15 years ago

Early last year, I started some peas in a galvanized wash tub. When they started to grow, I cut some grape vines and made them into a teepee to support the peas. 5 of them rooted and grew.

• gordonrowansemail_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

sorry aj.henkster. don't have an answer to your question. just more questions. here's mine: i heard that one should score any nodes that are going under the soil to grow roots. it is a cold march here and i just 'stole' some clippings from the backyard of a vacant house that is for sale in my neighborhood. can anyone advise on scoring the root nodes?

• mudflapper
    15 years ago

No need to score the root nodes , I just cut my branches into 12-16 inch length place into 1gl pots and in 3 to 5 weeks buds should start swelling... I always make sure to have two of the buds in the dirt because that is where the roots will form and after the buds start getting its first set of leaves ,roots should be growing.

• s_bass46_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i was told to take my cliping 12 in long ,concord,black spanish,zinfandel. I cut in them in Feb buried in sand for 1.5 to2.5 months and kept wet. Did not have any luck what am i doing wrong????