Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will lantana overwinter in Sunset zone 5?

Posted by newgeneral z7WA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 05 at 22:32

I live on Camano Island, near the water. Ever since seeing the butterfly exhibit at the zoo, I've wanted some lantana in my garden. Last week I found some plants at Home Depot, so of course I decided it was 'fate' and had to get one. But will lantana survive in my garden year round? I plan to mulch it with bark. The label says that, assuming it is not killed by low temps, it will get to be a 4' by 4' bush. Does anyone have experience with lantana locally, and if so, please advise: Do I need to dig it up for winter? How big will it get in our climate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will lantana overwinter in Sunset zone 5?

• Posted by Mearth z8PNW B'ham (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 17, 05 at 23:32

Nope.

o

Again, nope.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 14:56

If you take it indoors.

But, they grow so rapidly, just look for 4-inch plants in spring, then plant in the ground. At that time, check with your nearby garden center to determine when they're likely to come in.

o

Once I had a small pot of it over winter. However the entire plant and pot was covered with sawdust. They are not a hardy plant for this zone. Joe

o

How about if I keep it in the garage over the winter? It is quite dark, but won't freeze....Treat it like a fuscia?

o

Sometimes....but I would never count on it, much to my suprise, I have a lantana that has overwintered 2 years at a house on a bluff overlooking the Southworth ferry dock in Kitsap County. It is next to the house in sandy soil and looks terrible in the winter but is covered with blossoms tight now.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 22:32

Camano is USDA 8, as is all the rest of Sunset 5.

o

if youy keep in a cool place dont let the roots dry out and it treat it like a fuchsia it will,mine are 4 years old and doing fine
Sigrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here