Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_gene

Eucryphia Report for 2011

larry_gene
12 years ago

The Cult of the Eucryphians is small (there may be 2 or 3 of us on this forum), but they deserve an annual report:

This is the first year all three of my varieties bloomed profusely, with some overlap in the bloom period.

milliganii x lucida (two plants), planted 2002, height 11 feet

...blossom close-up

lucida "Pink Cloud", planted 2000, height 15 feet

...blossom close-up

intermedia "Rostrevor", planted 1992, height over 25 feet

...blossom close-up

------------------

I have another Rostrevor that blooms sparingly, but has achieved a height of 37 feet (measured by shadow comparison).

All three varieties attracted bees this year, as the quantity of blossoms was ample and the local bee population increased.

Comments (20)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Nice effect from the 'Pink Cloud'. One I spotted in a Seattle yard I figured to be about 18' tall.

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

Way more blossoms and more honeybees on my E. x nymansensis this year than the past 2 years.
    Did they like the wet spring?

• kristincarol
    12 years ago

I have two E. x nymansensis which seem to be quite happy this year. They are 12 to 15 feet and really beginning to fill out after heading for the sky during their first few years with me.

Such a luxury to have a flower filled tree at this time of year.

• ian_wa
    12 years ago

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Apparently mine are growing about half as fast as yours, judging by your comments.

So who can tell me how to definitively distinguish 'Mt. Usher' from 'Rostrevor'? Supposedly I have both, but I really can't tell them apart.

• larry_gene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another nice thing about this group of eucryphias is their small footprint--sometimes I think my two clumps of rhubarb take up as many square feet as the large Rostrevor.

The one Rostrevor has been a heavy bloomer for about ten years now, so it took nearly ten years to get going, although it bloomed some from a young age.

Wet springs are fine--the Rostrevors didn't mind our 64" rainfall in the mid-1990's. Summer water is more important, I noticed some green leaf drop a couple of weeks ago and put the sprinkler underneath again. They normally only shed yellow/red leaves.

I've heard of Mt Usher, but you would have to research complete descriptions for each type to see what the difference might be. My two potted Rostrevors were purchased from differently labeled rows (one being Nymansay) but turned out to be the same.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

It's Eucryphia x intermedia 'Rostrevor' and E. x nymansensis 'Mt. Usher': they're not even from the same cross. Like 'Nymansay' the latter produces bigger flowers, but differs in that these are often double. And its leaves are usually simple. In this respect it resembles 'Rostrevor'.

• larry_gene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Then perhaps Mt. Usher would not have the "intermediate" leaves, smooth-edged on the stem-end half and toothed-edged on the tip half (like Rostrevor leaves)?

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Should look more like 'Nymansay' but without as many divided leaves and with more petals. In fact, it looks more like E. cordifolia than does 'Nymansay', and neither has any E. lucida involvement - or characteristics.

• ian_wa
    12 years ago

I got mixed up. I meant to say that I can't tell apart 'Mt Usher' from 'Nymansay'. I'm wondering if they are both the same plant and one of my sources didn't identify it correctly.

• botann
    12 years ago

How come it's not more widely grown? I like the blossoms. Does it have any Fall color?
    Is there a hardy issue, and it can't be grown up here in the foothills?
    Mike

• larry_gene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Somewhat hard/slow to reproduce--offered only by specialty nurseries--a bit expensive even in 1- and 2-gallon sizes--many interesting hybrids only offered in Australia and the UK.

The varieties I have are considered evergreen.

The Rostrevor has a springtime flush of yellow leaves once new growth is underway and an autumn flush of yellow leaves with red spots. Each flush involves less that 20% of the leaves, but is interesting.

Lucida leaves that want to fall simply turn brown.

The magic number usually published is 15ðF. I would say the lucida with its smaller leaves is good for a few degrees cooler and the milliagnii hybrid with its tiny leaves might do OK in single digits above zero. The low temperature here since 1992 is 11ðF so they have not been severely tested.

They do right themselves after an ice storm or heavy snow and do not become deformed.

• botann
    12 years ago

I get down to single digits every few years up here in the foothills so that lets me out. Thanks for the info larry gene.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Yes, hardiness is the problem. Yet another group that often grows for a long time here - and then gets nailed. How long a time depends on when the next single digit winter comes around. In Maple Valley your best bet would be E. glutinosa. That species is certainly worth a try, it has even been called

One of the most glorious of woody plants

by The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs.

Local independent garden centers have had several kinds of eucryphias in recent years:

Here is a link that might be useful: Xera Plants - Trees

• ian_wa
    12 years ago

I've found E. milliganii to be hardier to cold than E. glutinosa, in a pot anyways.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Now how is it that you had occasion to find this out?

• babyleesy
    11 years ago

Where do you find these Eucryphias in Washington or Oregon? I am looking for a large one and I am not having any luck!

• ian_wa
    11 years ago

I'll tell you - send me a PM if interested.

• larry_gene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you want an already mature specimen or one that will grow to become large?

Gossler Farms (Springfield, OR) currently offers a half-dozen varieties.

My plants, as a group, were in continuous bloom from the beginning of July through the end of September.

E. milliganii x lucida, nickel-sized blossoms

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

Still have blooms on the later of my two. They were covered in bloom and all a'buzz for months.

• larry_gene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm down to one petal and one opening bud on the Pink Cloud and about a hundred blooms on the milliganii x.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz