Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

slugs and snails

kaesgarden
9 years ago

I'm looking for humane ways of disposing of slugs and snails. Everyday i thoroughly look over my seedlings and it kills me to see them being nibbled to death. Before that my cat was digging up my seeds so i places holly around the ones that had sprouted which worked and it seemed - for the time being, was keeping the slimy bugs out. But they are back! So i took salt out and sprinkled here and there and around my seedlings and when they came in contact it was horrific to watch and all the little bodies laying about this morning in the grass.

Then i read it's possible slugs and snails feel pain, i don't want them in my garden for sure. But i also can't kill them, it just eats at me and i feel terrible. Is there another way to get rid of them?

I know there's a process with soap and water but again i don't want to watch anything in progress i had used slug bait but mine seemed extra sneaky has my plants were still taking a hit even if i didn't see them. Maybe there isn't another solution but I wanted to double check what other gardeners are doing about your slimy unwanted visitors.

Scarlet

Comments (9)

• Lily777
    9 years ago

HI Scarlet. I am going to start collecting mine and give them to my neighbor who raises chickens. Since you are concerned about causing pain to slugs and snails, I guess you need to figure out what you want to do about them. Maybe use diatomaceous earth? I haven't tried it, but here's a link for you to investigate your options.

Here is a link that might be useful: slug control

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lily, i also like the idea of collecting, if I, myself wasn't the one doing harm. Well chickens have to eat too and at least someone would be getting something out of it. Great idea!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

My neighbor recycles them. He puts a few nursery pots in an area where slugs are a problem and then puts empty beer cans in them. From there they go in the recycle bin. The drunken slugs don't know what hit em' when they're crushed.
    Seems fairly humane to me.
    Mike.... ;-)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yeah, I'm with OP...I feel bad, but I'd feel worse if I let them eat my babies (they eat enough any way)...if I catch them..they're toast.

I feel the same way about cutworms...I can live without their species on the earth (more so than slugs and snails who are valuable recyclers).

The only value a cutworm has is to a bird :)

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike,
    Do you know how full the beer can has to be, i don't actually have any on hand but i could pick some up. So far all these suggestions are sounding better than the salt method.

I actually really like the chicken idea that's a great way of giving back, my loss can be their gain which is fantastic.

Your so right dbarron, it's pretty devastating to see my seedlings getting murdered during the evening hours when i can't keep watch.

Some super great suggestions, thank you :)

• jacqueinthegorge
    9 years ago

Many chickens won't eat slugs or snails - apparently it's an acquired taste for them - but ducks always will!

Just another idea...

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Just a little bit of beer in the can works. Usually what's left after drinking one. It's the smell that attracts them.
    Mike

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't blame the chickens we've all seen what slugs and snails look like. Lucky for me that my friend also has a pair of ducks thank you for the tip.

Oh wow, that easy huh, i'm going to give it a go tonight and see what happens, thanks again Mike :)

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Pigs eat slugs. They roll them around in their mouth to get the slime off before swallowing them.
    I'll take slugs over pigs any day.
    My neighbor's pigs got loose one time from their enclosure and made it to my garden through a barbed wire fence meant for cows and horses. They walked around my nursery beds with 4 inch seedlings with their snout about 4 inches in the dirt. What a mess! I chased the pigs back home and helped my neighbor repair the pig pen. He no longer has pigs, just cows.
    Mike