Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old gash in tree trunk- how will it affect tree?

Posted by plantknitter 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 0:22

I'm considering buying a paperbark maple. Of the 3 in stock at the nursery, only one has a really good leader, and it is the tallest and healthiest looking tree overall except it has an old split near the base of the trunk. The trunk caliper is only about 1 inch.
There is really good healing surrounding the split, but there is still about a 3/8 inch gap with dry grey wood showing.
The callus is about 1/8 inch wide so far.
The split extends about 3 inches in vertical length.

One other tree has a perfect looking trunk with a nice flare starting at the base, similar caliper. But the top of the tree is branched into 2 branches with one small, maybe former leader, in the center.
This tree is shorter.
I do not not know the root system differences--hopefully both are good.

Which tree would you buy? both are the same price.

Will the current split area make any difference once the tree is grown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old gash in tree trunk- how will it affect tree?

Purchase it only if you want a lemon.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 18:54

An eighth of an inch on a one inch tree?!!

I'd go for it. Negotiate a reduced price because of the flaw. The stock has been picked over all season. None left are top of the line. You can make a point in your favor.

It will heal over rather quickly and not be a problem in my opinion.
Mike......I like Paperbark Maples.

o

Wound is described as "still about a 3/8 inch gap with dry grey wood showing." "1/8 inch" is the callus tissue.

I still suggest you ignore such a "bargain." That underlying gray wood is dead, dead, dead.

o

I'd shy away from one with a split in the trunk like that. You might be better off with the split leaders, you can prune one out and train the replacement. Take a look at the roots if you can. In either case ask for a discount.

The split in the trunk is probably not restricting sap flow noticeably, if it's narrow and perfectly vertical, but it's already let in rot fungi.

Height is less important than overall health, and roots are critical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here