Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knotz_gw

Ensete Maurelli

knotz
12 years ago

I'm in the Kelso/Longview area and was wondering if anyone else here has these and how do you winter them??...I have 4 and they wintered just fine in my heated greenhouse last winter but they were only 4' tall...They are 8' tall now and am wondering how to fit them in my greenhouse??...Any suggestions would be awesome!!

Thanks in advance :)

knotz

Comments (9)

• grrrnthumb
    12 years ago

I love these! Amazing visual impact. I keep mine overwinter in the garage with a 1000w halide light. It's in the 50's F most of the time, but stays above freezing. I water it about once a week in there. I stop fertilizing about now but leave them outside until the last minute, perhaps Oct15 to Nov 1. You can cut off almost all the open leaves when you bring them in.
    - Tom

• duane456
    12 years ago

I will be taking most of the leaves off mine real soon, here. put into my unheated garage. It goes dormant. give it a cup of water a month. pull it back in the spring when threat of frost has past. then start fertilizing again for the summer. I've had mine for 4 years now
    works for me.
    Duane

• knotz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How do you take the leaves off??...I mean, do you cut them all off except maybe the one that hasn't opened all the way yet??...Mine are like 8' tall and won't fit in the g/h..Can I bend over the leaves and tie them??

Thanks SOO much for your help!!!!...Last yr was easy, they were only about 4' tall.

• duane456
    12 years ago

knotz---I cut the leaves leaving one.. I've heard of some people storing them underneath their house laying flat. Maybe that is an option in your greenhouse? or --- I've heard of people cutting trunk down to the size you want and it grows back. or---just need a bigger greenhouse.
    I haven't tried laying them flat or cutting the trunk, so I can't say that works,
    Duane

• duane456
    12 years ago

knotz---I see you are into Brugs. What names have done well (flowering)for you here the northwest. I've had good luck with jamaican yellow and tropical sunset.
    Duane

• knotz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll try your way duane...And ya, I'm "pushing" for a bigger greenhouse...lol...I grow LOTS of different tropicals and my poor greenhouse is packed every winter.

Yes, I DO grow lots of brugs too...Some didn't bloom this year that bloomed last year and vise versa...Crazy weather!!

Ollie is a GREAT bloomer here as is Cherry Slush and Miss Anna...I'm trying to cut back on brugs, ya right!!...lol.

Pink Masterpiece bloomed this year for the first time and was REALLY pretty.

knotz

• plantknitter
    12 years ago

I don't understand how you can cut the leaves off.
    Whenever I have tried that, they just seem to pump lots of water up and and they "bleed" the water out of the cut end and rot. I've tried that both when they have been in the ground and when they were in a pot in the greenhouse.The only survivors I've had were pups that came up the following year from the root when they were in the ground one mild winter.

• duane456
    12 years ago

plantknitter--- r u talking about Ensete Maurelli or musa basjoo? Ensete Maurelli doesn't produce pups.
    When I cut the leaves , they do bleed alot but never have rotted to the point that they killed the plant.

knotz---going to have any cuttings this fall from your brugs? hint. hint.

duane

• knotz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

duane--I'm sure I have some extra cuttings I can share with ya...I'll look them over and see what I have...Can you send me your email so we don't have to exchange mailing info here??

You can send it through here, just click on my name and send it from there.

Have you been to the brugmansia forum??...Awesome people over there and very giving people...That's where I got 99% of my brugs :)

knotz