Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spring_chicken

Looking For Bare Root Hops

spring_chicken
13 years ago

Hey folks, anyone know where I can find bare root hops? I'd like to plant a few of the best-for-homebrew such as Cascade, but can't find anywhere that can ship to WA.

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Any reason why bare root stock is preferred? Growing starts are typically available at various area nurseries in season - hops are a bit late to emerge from dormancy but are usually available in late spring (May?). I'd try calling around to your local favorite garden centers about that time.

We had a decent selection of several cultivars this season at Valley Nursery in Poulsbo........and I doubt that's limited to a single outlet. Lots of homebrew/growers out there :-))

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just looking to get a few different cultivars for cheap. I know they have a selection at most garden centers, but it seems to be mostly the golden variety.

Are they planted in spring then?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

No reason they couldn't be available bare root....just a bit too early (bare root stock is typically harvested in winter, after plant becomes fully dormant). Golden hops, while typically sold as an ornamental, does provide usable fruit and IS sometimes used by home brewers. You could also try Raintree Nursery or One Green World, both of which are available online.

You might want to be aware that online sales of hops are sometimes restricted to specific locations due to the likelihood of disease transmittal potentially impacting commercial crops.....

And unless you have a lot of space available, you may not want more than one or two vines. Hops get to be BIG vines and do so rapidly each season. Not sure how much of the dried product is required for brewing purposes but I'd think one or two vines would be sufficiently productive for most home brewers.

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're right about only needing one or two varieties, but different beers can require up to 3 kinds. I'd like to plant the 3 most common and just buy the rest. Living on 5 acres has it's advantages when it comes to planting big things. :-)

Thanks for the tips. I've been running into the shipping restrictions since most online retainers won't ship to Washington.

• botann
    13 years ago

I have both the golden and normal variety of Hops. You are welcome to a start of both. Come and get em'.
    I don't brew my own beer yet, but if the price keeps going up,the option is open.
    Here's a picture of the golden form in my garden swallowing up a twisted needle form of white pine.

{{gwi:1091451}}

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Botann - That's very generous of you. I have golden hoops already, but would love some 'standard' variety. Any idea which kind it is?

• botann
    13 years ago

I have no idea as to the variety. My friend, who gave it to me, hardly knew it was a Hop plant. I've had both for several years.

• spring_chicken
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since I'm still new to brewing, I better stick to known varieties. I have no idea how to tell what is the correct amount to add without a recipe.
    Thanks though.
    - P

• Karchita
    13 years ago

I have Kent's Golding and you would be welcome to a root slip. Come and get it! Email me. The plant is dormant now. They are very tough plants and I don't think it would matter when you plant it or when you take the cutting. I yank out handfuls of the roots throughout the growing season in an attempt to control it, and this monster of a plant just laughs at me.

You could also check your local brewing supply shop. There is one in Kirkland near Costco where we got the start for our hops several years ago, and in the past they have carried a selection of varities that brewers would want. I am not sure what they might have currently. The Golden variety is a poor choice for brewing.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

And wouldn't it be, in this case, beer roots rather than bare?

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone