Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spotted wing drosophila

Posted by briergardener 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 7:04

Tiny insect that lays eggs in rippening soft berries. Oregon and Ca have alert on it.
Any information about insect in our area?
I got white worms in my fall raspberries this year, think that this is drosophila.
Will appreciate any information about the insect that is specific to NW.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spotted wing drosophila

When you say "our" region, where do you mean? Also which county do you live in?

Info re extent in OR is sketchy and is just now being mapped when verified reports are submitted to ODA. As to which states, it has been verified from WA, OR, and CA, also BC.

And yes, it sounds like you may have them in your raspberries.

Take a number of fruits to your county's Oregon State University Extension Service Office. They should be able to help.

Here's the original alert from Oregon Dept of Agriculture (ODA)

http://oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/IPPM/index.shtml

And here's a more recent update from CA
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/EXOTIC/drosophila.html

Here is a link that might be useful: SWD update from CA

o

I'm going to guess the poster is from Brier, (briergardener)which is north of Seattle in Snohomish County.
So the WSU county extension office is in McCollum park in south Everett.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 12:44

Not far east of I-5. Go east on 128th, turn right (south) at main park entrance. Drive through parking lots etc. to building at south end.

o

It sounds like s.w.d. -- unless there is another fruit fly that lays eggs in just ripening berries and soft fruits. I don't think there is. I've had a huge infestation in my everbearing strawberries and my favorite u-pick farms (where the farmers hadn't even heard of it). I discovered it while making a fruit fly trap for the house -- I used some strawberries and noticed the gross little maggots drowning in the vinegar water solution. It was really a bummer. I'm finding it really sad to imagine no more fall berries. I hope it doesn't infest them this next spring.

o

Sometimes it's good to have geo location in user name. :)
You are right, plantknitter, i live in Brier, north of Seattle.
I already communicated with Extension office, for now they are not "ready" for this new insect.
Sad thing that i think they are not only fall guests. I had tiny white worms in my summer crop of raspberry and sour cherry.
In sour cherry they appeared while berries was rippening. So now i suspect that i had this problem in summer as well.
Thinking what to do for next year.
Recommended bait does not come in home gardener packages.
Somebody has any ideas how to kill pupaes that might be in soil now?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 16:25

Not possible to kill pupae in soil.

The current recommendation for home gardeners is to collect all affected fruits & trimmings, secure in a sturdy plastic bag, then put in the trash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here