Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison_proctor

katsura

Allison Proctor
14 years ago

Katsura trees are known for their spectacular fall foliage and carmel like scent. Mine is not doing that. Mine is ugly, with leaves just turning brown and falling off. And no smell. There are about 6 katsura planted on my street. All the trees on the other side (east) look pretty. The ones on the west are like mine. What is wrong? Have some theories but need help putting puzzle together. BTW, the prettiest tree on my street gets the least attention. Need more info on this tree, I guess. Help!

Comments (18)

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of mine. As you can see, the leaves in front are different than the ones in back. The second pic is a side shot showing how brown the leaves in back are. I'm convinced I have two different varieties since the tree is a clump of 4 trunks.
    Maybe you have the variety that's on the back side of my clump? :)

The two trunks facing the yard always have beautiful color. We got lucky in placement when we transplanted it 7 yrs ago!
    In the spring the leaves on the 2 trunks in front are a totally different green compared to the other 2 trunks.

It's still my favorite tree!

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

>In the spring the leaves on the 2 trunks in front are a totally different green compared to the other 2 trunksPossibly two different seedlings that never got separated at the propagation facility.

• Allison Proctor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, your tree looks like a combo of mine and the neighbors. Just wierd how all the tres on one side are the same and not the other. Also, another plant that I was excited for thr fall foliage was my Pokeweed, which is just turning brown and gross. No real color. BTW,what direction does the pretty side of your katsura face?

• annzgw
    14 years ago

lala,

It faces West.
    After seeing how they can be different, I'd suggest buying in the fall so one could confirm the color.

• Karchita
    14 years ago

I planted a katsura about 7 or 8 years ago. It has always needed a lot of water. I keep waiting for it to become established and stop acting like a tree that was planted just a few years ago, but I think it would be best at this point to set up a soaker hose under it and make sure it gets lots of water, especially during dry spells.

When it is hot and dry like last summer, it drops leaves in the middle of the summer and fall color is poor. Other years it has been spectacular and has had that delicious aroma. In your situation, it could be that the west facing trees need more water and the east facing ones do better because the soil stays wetter.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

karchita's post reminds me that I forgot to add a comment about water in my previous post. Just wanted to mention that there is a sprinkler head to the left of my tree (in the mulched area) and spray from other heads overlap the area. In hot weather the system is on every day, otherwise it runs at least 3x's/week.

As of today the leaves on the front of the tree are more golden and the branches on the back have lost half their leaves... :(

• botann
    14 years ago

Katsuras like summer water and good soil. I have a couple in pots that had to be watched all summer to insure that they did not dry out. I have several hundred growing in a grove with good soil and partial shade. They did fine this summer with no extra water. Variety, 'Magnificum'.
    I have only detected the burnt sugar smell once.

I went out to take a picture and this is what I found.
    {{gwi:454151}}

• flowerfan2
    14 years ago

I have the Herronswood globe Katsura. It has beautiful yellow leaves in the fall with pink touches. Mine has always had the wonderful burnt sugar smell. It makes fall clean a lot more enjoyable.

• flowerfan2
    14 years ago

Here is a close up photo of my Heronswood globe katsura. I just love it. Karen

• botann
    14 years ago

Flowerfan2, that is absolutely beautiful!
    Wish I had one.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I agree........it's gorgeous. I'm going to start searching for one tomorrow!

How large is your tree now?

• flowerfan2
    14 years ago

Hi Annez, it's about 14 x 14. It has a very distinct rounded shape. It's supposed to get about 20 x 20. Here's a photo. Karen

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The original seedling, at Heronswood is the oldest specimen known. So, nobody knows how big the cultivar may grow over the long haul - they can only guess.

And the Heronswood plant appears to have become diseased or entered a decline for other reasons. Ultimate size may have to be demonstrated by one of its propagules.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The original seedling, at Heronswood is the oldest specimen known. So, nobody knows how big the cultivar may grow over the long haul - they can only guess.

And the Heronswood plant appears to have become diseased or entered a decline for other reasons. Ultimate size may have to be demonstrated by one of its propagules.

• shadrock
    9 years ago

I found an orphand weeping katsura in a nursury it had suffered some die back and had been pruned rather severely at the top. There are small branches sprouting .... but its looking a bit neglected it had been in a pot im quessing 4 or 5 years it is now in my yard. What are the chances it will gain hieght and how can i encourage new LIMB growth

any help would help

• shadrock
    9 years ago

I found an orphand weeping katsura in a nursury it had suffered some die back and had been pruned rather severely at the top. There are small branches sprouting .... but its looking a bit neglected it had been in a pot im quessing 4 or 5 years it is now in my yard. What are the chances it will gain hieght and how can i encourage new LIMB growth

any help would help

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Keep it watered during the summer and give it plenty of room to spread out.
    Here is one at my neighbor's.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

After too long in a pot probably will need to have roots opened up and spread out, as much as possible. Much woody nursery stock it root-bound anyway, even before it gets to retail outlets. As fertilization may have been lacking or absent after it was received from the production facility it probably needs some soil mineral supplementation as well.

If already in the ground dig it back up at end of winter and work on the roots then, when spring bud break coming soon after will result in nearly immediate production of new roots from cut root ends.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012