Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columbine reblooming

Posted by may_flowers 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 9:03

I've grown columbine for 5 years and this is the first I've seen a fall rebloom. It's one of the standard red columbines. Just curious whether you've observed this in your garden.

My neighbor's rhodie is also blooming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columbine reblooming

It is not as uncommon as you might think - a fair number of plants will offer out of season flowers. Most often you see this in plants that have a very early bloom season - like late winter into early spring: rhodies, azaleas, hellebores, the occasional early clematis. But sometimes you will see this on later flowering plants........oriental poppies, columbine, various broadleaved evergreen shrubs, even flowering trees like dogwoods.

The explanation most often given is that the early fall weather - cool temps, plenty of rainfall, short day length, etc. - kind of tricks the plants into thinking it is spring and time to do their stuff. This inclination seems to increase after an extended dry and/or hot summer that tends to force the plants into an early and temporary dormancy.

The out of sequence bloom cycle usually does not interfere or interrupt the normal seasonal bloom cycle..........it's just a little bonus!!

o

Oh, I'm glad to hear it doesn't affect next year's blooms. I have a medusa rhodie putting on quite a show right now. :D

o

Thank you, gardengal! I figured my columbine would bloom next spring but I wasn't so sure about my neighbor's rhodie since they set their buds after bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here