Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too cold for grass seed?

Posted by heatherisnotaweed Everett z8 (hj_shaffer@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Oct 11, 05 at 9:54

I think I may have waited too long to plant grass seed. Is it too cold for it to sprout? This is a new area, not reseeded ground. I did use a fertilizer especially for new lawns before hand, and it's not been hard keeping the ground moist. If not, what do I do with the bare dirt until Spring when it warms up?
Thanks!

Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too cold for grass seed?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 11, 05 at 14:12

You are pushing the limits a tad. Preferred time, at least hereabouts, is mid Sept to mid October. But it should work.

Grass usually germinates in 10 to 14 days but, right now, may take a little longer.

That said, no matter when you seed, it's CRITICAL to keep the area evenly moist. If the sprouting seed dries, it dies.

o

• Posted by weebus Z8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 11, 05 at 15:24

I just happen to be having Sod laid in my yard, ask we speak. No one would hydroseed it because they stand by their work and it was too close to the end of the season If it is a small area, couldn't you lay Sod?

If not, cover it well with a mulch or landscape cloth or black plastic.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 11, 05 at 22:25

There must be some variation, I've seen exposed soil coated with fine hair of recently germinated weedy grasses in November. This is not unexpected when you consider that consistent rains often do not occur until then; I am planting shrubs into dust now as much of my soil is still quite dry despite recent irrigation and precipitation.

o

Well, Thanks for all the advise and also to the nice lady I talked to at Emery's today. I will keep sprinkling and cross my fingers.

Heather

o

We seeded an area about 2 weeks ago and it has just sprouted in the last few days. I was beginning to wonder about it too.

o

I work for the Parks Dept. here on SSI and last week we just seeded a massive area with Low Maintenance mix. Should be just fine, we've seeded at this time of the year before and had no problems with germination. If your area is subject to heavy frost at this time of the year then I would rethink it. Cheers, Joe

o

I thought my grass seed had sprouted but it turns out to be hundreds of little poppy sprouts, from all the poppies that went to seed in my borders this summer. What on earth do I do about those?

Heather

o

Mowing will control the poppies over time. Heather, it's not too late to plant grass. It takes about 10 days to germinate. And this time of year you never have to water.

I like to sow grass seed with perennial rye. The rye germinates immediately becoming a cover crop to hold the soil for the grass. Over time the rye dies as you mow and the grass takes over. The mulched rye and dead roots become nutrients for the lawn.

Regards,

Jim

o

Jim, Thanks for the tip on Rye. I'll give that a try when I do the back lawn. I was amazed this week to see the grass seed sprout in a matter of an hour (it seemed) and start looking rather lush in about a day ( or so). It sure took off once it got started!

Heather

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here