Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherisnotaweed

Too cold for grass seed?

heatherisnotaweed
18 years ago

I think I may have waited too long to plant grass seed. Is it too cold for it to sprout? This is a new area, not reseeded ground. I did use a fertilizer especially for new lawns before hand, and it's not been hard keeping the ground moist. If not, what do I do with the bare dirt until Spring when it warms up?

Thanks!

Heather

Comments (9)

• weebus
    18 years ago

I just happen to be having Sod laid in my yard, ask we speak. No one would hydroseed it because they stand by their work and it was too close to the end of the season If it is a small area, couldn't you lay Sod?

If not, cover it well with a mulch or landscape cloth or black plastic.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

There must be some variation, I've seen exposed soil coated with fine hair of recently germinated weedy grasses in November. This is not unexpected when you consider that consistent rains often do not occur until then; I am planting shrubs into dust now as much of my soil is still quite dry despite recent irrigation and precipitation.

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, Thanks for all the advise and also to the nice lady I talked to at Emery's today. I will keep sprinkling and cross my fingers.

Heather

• dawnbc
    18 years ago

We seeded an area about 2 weeks ago and it has just sprouted in the last few days. I was beginning to wonder about it too.

• bananajoe
    18 years ago

I work for the Parks Dept. here on SSI and last week we just seeded a massive area with Low Maintenance mix. Should be just fine, we've seeded at this time of the year before and had no problems with germination. If your area is subject to heavy frost at this time of the year then I would rethink it. Cheers, Joe

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I thought my grass seed had sprouted but it turns out to be hundreds of little poppy sprouts, from all the poppies that went to seed in my borders this summer. What on earth do I do about those?

Heather

• greenelephant
    18 years ago

Mowing will control the poppies over time. Heather, it's not too late to plant grass. It takes about 10 days to germinate. And this time of year you never have to water.

I like to sow grass seed with perennial rye. The rye germinates immediately becoming a cover crop to hold the soil for the grass. Over time the rye dies as you mow and the grass takes over. The mulched rye and dead roots become nutrients for the lawn.

Regards,

Jim

• heatherisnotaweed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jim, Thanks for the tip on Rye. I'll give that a try when I do the back lawn. I was amazed this week to see the grass seed sprout in a matter of an hour (it seemed) and start looking rather lush in about a day ( or so). It sure took off once it got started!

Heather