o
It Might Rain

Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 10:11

November came early.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It Might Rain

It was nice to have a one day break to get the leaves up before the next pour! Happy Halloween :)

o

Cue up the Edmund Fitzgerald song.

PDX over 6" October, top-5 all-time wettest immediately following driest all-time summer.

o

My raingauge shows 7.2 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks of October. That is equal to the total rain in the previous 5 months.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 14:24

Since November is usually the wettest month here, it's possible a lot more is soon to come.

o

Our total rainfall for October was 1.4". If I dig down about 3 inches I hit dry soil. It's dry less than 1 inch down under the doug fir canopy. I guess that's what I get for locating in Sequim. On the plus side, our sungold tomatoes, out in the open, still look great.

o

Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 17:34

I have dust just below the surface also, this is usual. Even though we had heavy rain the other night. It takes a long time to add up.

o

There has not been any puddling in the garden yet, it does take a long time to add up.

The prediction here is for an entire dry week; this will help keep the plump but pre-ripe feijoas from molding.

o

larry gene,
Your Feijoas have fruit on them?That's great!I was at One Green World on the 20th.There are some nice specimens out front on the right side of the tasting room.I inspected them all,about 6-8 and only saw one tiny thing that may have been a fruit,but it fell off when being touched.I hope mine fruit next year. Brady

o

Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 17:34

Hand pollination has been recommended for this plant.

o

..and I do hand-pollinate. Most likely those OGW plants, that I have seen also in years past, are seedlings just for show. I think those were planted before OGW was offering a variety of cultivars.

My bumper crop may have been aided by the dry summer that prompted me to put the sprinkler under the bush more often than usual.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 10:18

My garden buckets have filled with rainwater here near Black Diamond, WA. I should have kept track of which ones I dipped water out for containers.

That's a lot of rain!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here