Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering perennial salvia & agastache

Posted by corrine1 7b PNW (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 12:47

How you would overwinter autumn sages, Salvia greggii & Agastache 'Acapulco Orange'? How about treating the pots like like fuchsia baskets kept on the dry side & dormant in unheated building?

OR

Would you go ahead & transplant now? Location is in the rain shadow off Bush Point on Whidbey Island. I don't know the exact measurements, but this places has much less rain than the Seattle area and certainly my east King County location.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering perennial salvia & agastache

I had Salvia greggii live over in pots with no special treatment. Outside exposed to sun and rain.

o

I think if you treat them like a fuchsia basket you should be fine. I've been unsuccessful here in Olympia overwintering any salvias or agastaches in the ground. We get way more rain than Seattle but I think it's the cold that gets mine, they're in a raised bed with excellent drainage.

o

I'm also in Olympia and agree that most new world sages - the greggii/microphylla/x jamensis family, darcyi, chamaedryoides, etc. plus most Agastaches demand this treatment in the South Sound. I think it's the combination of 50 inches of rain, sudden and severe freezes without the opportunity to gradually harden off like last December, and the missing summer heat that they crave. Nurseries in California and the SW have exaggerated their hardiness but NC growers Tony Avant and Rich Dufresne have over-wintered many of these and have comparable or even lower winter lows.

There are exceptions such as guaranitica from South America, which is the #1 choice of the hummers, and a few others. In addition, many European, Middle Eastern and Asian sages are hardy here.

I confess to being a full-fledged salvia and fuchsia enthusiast. In the interest of promoting additional conversation now or later, here are most of the ones I'm growing now. These span the range of tropical to marginal to rock hardy. An asterisk indicates especially outstanding garden or container worthiness IMO. My x John Whittlesey, a cross of darcyi and microphylla, is absolutely incredible - I posted a pic of this one recently on the salvia forum. I planted it this year and do not expect it to survive in the ground. I have seeds of many of these. The 2 best autumn sages I have grown are Royal Bumble and Sierra San Antonio. Sorry about the long post, I couldn't resist:
Salvia algeriensis
Salvia apiana
Salvia argentea*
Salvia arizonica*
Salvia azurea
Salvia brevilabra
Salvia canariensis var.Candidissima*
Salvia canescens var.daghestanica*
Salvia castanea
Salvia chamaedryoides*
SALVIA Chinensis 'Nanjinja'
Salvia 'Christine Yeo'
Salvia clevelandii
Salvia coccinea'Lady in Red'*
Salvia corrugata*
Salvia cyanescens
Salvia darcyi
Salvia discolor
Salvia dolichantha
Salvia dorisiana*
Salvia elegans 'Honey Melon'and Tangerine* (Pineapple sage blooms too late, these are the alternatives)
Salvia farinacea
Salvia flava var.megalantha
Salvia forskaehlei
Salvia glabrescens 'Shi Ho'
Salvia guaranitica*
Salvia heldreichiana
Salvia hians
Salvia jurisicii
Salvia koyamae*
Salvia lavanduliifolia*
Salvia miltiorrhiza*
Salvia miniata
Salvia moorcroftiana
Salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna'
Salvia nubicola
Salvia nutans
Salvia officinalis 'Icterina'
Salvia officinalis 'Tricolor'
Salvia pachyphylla
Salvia patens
Salvia pomifera
Salvia Purple Majesty*
Salvia repens
Salvia schlechteri
Salvia sclarea
Salvia sinaloensis*
Salvia stolonifera
Salvia taraxacifolia*
Salvia transsylvanica*
Salvia viscosa*
Salvia 'Wendy's Wish'*
Salvia x John Whittlesey*

o

Hi Corrine, I lost my salvia guaranitica "Black & Blue" when I tried to overwinter it in the ground so this year I'm moving both it and my agastache aurantiaca "Apricot Sprite" into the cold frame for the winter. I hope they can survive there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here