Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Fall in a Northwest Japanese maple and Conifer garden

Hoping to someday paint the landscape like 'Botann'/Mike, my young gardens are showing color promise at least, if not the requisite mastery of design.

I hope you enjoy!

-Will

Comments (18)

• ihatepavelbure
    12 years ago

This is very beautiful!

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Yes, beautiful, and that watering can does get around.

• botann
    12 years ago

The maples are a nice compliment to the conifer garden.
    Lookin' good Will.
    Mike

• dottyinduncan
    12 years ago

Wonderful colour! Thanks for sharing.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

That's really lovely, there is so much color and texture going on there - it almost makes me appreciate Fall. Thanks for sharing ;)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I did enjoy and I bet your neighbors do too.

• Llanwenlys
    12 years ago

Very, very lovely. I wonder if you would consider labeling the pictures with cultivar names so what you have found successful, we could emulate?

• lucretia1
    12 years ago

Fall is a gorgeous time of year here. We don't have many Japanese maples (verticillium problems) and my garden isn't nearly as refined and beautiful as Will's, but the colors are starting to really come on! There was ice on a bucket of water on the back porch this morning, everything is covered with frost, the sky is perfectly clear and the sun is shining. Good day to start the morning in front of a fire with a cup of chocolate.

{{gwi:1092084}}

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Thanks for the eye candy firefightergardener & lucretia1! Now all of us can enjoy your special garden views all winter long. Both of you have worked hard in your garden to create such beauty. Keep sharing!

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad folks enjoyed them, it's been four years of work, dirt and devotion.

Llanwenlys, it would be very difficult to label the plants involved, there are many! If you wanted to know more about some specific photos or particular plants, I'll be glad to help. Photos like these make me get through the Winter as well, I'm glad to know others may enjoy them as well.

-Will

• dottyinduncan
    12 years ago

What wonderful textures! And great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Serious crowding issues imminent, of course. This will have to be dealt with within a few years.

• botann
    12 years ago

bboy, I thought your concerns had been addressed.
    Why belabor the point?
    Mike

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Because he's a curmudgeoned old creep who stalks the GW forums without the imagination that there are people out there that actually can work HARD in their gardens and have a plan for the future.

Plants are moving every season, over 300 specimens this Winter alone. I work feverously, more so then the vast majority of gardeners and things are ever-changing. While the gardens will never be 'finished', when they are more mature hopefully many can visit and enjoy them though most certainly Ron is not f**king welcomed.

• Merilia
    12 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of work! I take it your goal is to have your garden look attractive at every stage of its growth? Taking the easy way out and using annuals to fill in where the plants haven't grown enough yet would obviously run counter to your whole design theme. At what point do you decide you won't want to keep moving a plant because of its size, and you'll find it a permanent spot? Also, are you going to have a home for all of these trees once they're mature? Or are you planning to cull a bunch once things get crowded? Your whole style is fascinating, but I can't even wrap my head around how much time and money you must have put into your garden.

• honeybea5
    12 years ago

Firefightergardener - it's Beautiful--I hope you'll continue to share pictures as your landscape grows, changes, and matures so we can continue to enjoy it! Your passion and talent for the color and texture of the garden really shows!

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    12 years ago

The first image was a very nice one to see: the variation, layers of color and texture change.

Also noticed the vine maple. I like those as much for color, and even more so of durability.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

:-)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

>Because he's a curmudgeoned old creep who stalks the GW forums without the imagination that there are people out there that actually can work HARD in their gardens and have a plan for the futureNot only is this intentionally offensive - and consists of attacking a poster instead of discussing a topic - but it also clearly shows that you do not know me at all.

No surprise there.