Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Soil is still dry

dottyinduncan
10 years ago

We dug out a Genista yesterday. About 3 inches down, the soil was dry. Given that we have had 7 inches of rain in the past few weeks, I was amazed. This was a bed that is on a slight slope and 6 - 7 inches down is a layer of clay. We have drip irrigation in this bed under a layer of mulch. The Genista was well rooted and not easy to dislodge but it is gone. Now I have to plant something in the hole and I'm trying to figure out what. It has to be deer proof, able to stand some shade. Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Takes a lot of rain to penetrate deeply. And soils that have been occupied by conifers for a time may become water repellant (hydrophobic).

• plantknitter
    10 years ago

Re:
    " soils that have been occupied by conifers for a time may become water repellant ."

How? and/or why?

how does it change the soil structure? or what does it do?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I've seen waxes given off by the trees mentioned. Otherwise when the conifers are still present a planting area can be dusty because they may use their crown structures to divert water away from the trunks, resulting in persistent dryness beneath their canopies.

But local soils can be dry to some depth in October just because it stops raining in July and there isn't enough precipitation to compensate again until the hammer falls in November - the stormiest month of the year. If a body doesn't water enough to compensate and the planting is not made on a retentive soil or a site that tends to remain more moist for other reasons then by this time of the year they will be finding some quite dry dirt when they dig around.

• botann
    10 years ago

I'm still finding dry soil several inches down under large Doug Firs, even under several inches of woodchips out in the open.
    Really dry fine soil repels water like flour. I remember as a kid north of Spokane we used to disturb the top layer of soil between the rows in the vegetable garden and use the dust as mulch. It broke up the continuity of capillary action and conserved water. Kept the weeds down too. We had hay and straw in the barn but never thought to use that. My Grandfather was in charge and I was kid slave pushing the cultivator for what seemed, at the time, for miles. ;-) The garden was as big as a city lot, and then some.
    I wish I had that rock free volcanic soil over here.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Maybe Saint Helens or Rainier will erupt again soon.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    10 years ago

another theory: the clay layer might have been hydrophobic during the heavy rains, and just drained the water away.

I would be tempted to look at a Hebe in that position. It would appreciate the drip irrigation. Personally, I would try to get one rated zone 7 or so (I get conservative with hardiness the closer I get to a house). I won't make any claims re the deer, but Hebes are on a lot of pacNW deer resistant lists.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting conversation. We get the least rain of anyone in our zone during the summertime and with the huge Doug Firs ringing our property, there is always competition for the moisture. Eeldip, your suggestion of a hebe is interesting. I had one this summer that the deer left alone, a variegated one. Previously, they had eaten them to the ground. I continue to learn.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Deer feeding variable, the real test (for the deer and unprotected plants) is when there is a hard winter and they are having trouble finding food.

Without effective fencing plantings are constantly subject to whatever deer and rabbits may happen to be doing at the time.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, deer in different areas have different appetites. Last winter they ate everything on the "don't like" list. I have now wrapped the whole border in black plastic mesh. It is impossible for us to fence and there is no hunting in our area, so I continue the war.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If it was a sloped area, probably most of the water ran off and went somewhere else. Unless ground is perfectly flat the water will find a PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE. this is a universal law .

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Feeding behavior varies over time as well as between individuals. Winter weather is probably the strongest general influence, as most of the foliage disappears then but they still have to eat.