Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corgi_gw

Fig cuttings

corgi
14 years ago

I have a very large fig tree I will be pruning this winter and I have had scads of neighbours clammering for cuttings they can grow into trees of their own. Any advice on how to do this successfully? Several Italian friends have said 'just put the twig into dirt...' well I can tell you that hasn't worked. :(

Thanaks

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

They are actually quite easy to propagate from cuttings. Dormant wood is best and stems that have at least some portion of 2 year wood on them seem to root easier. Allow them to callus slightly, dip in a rooting hormone, plant in normal rooting media for cuttings and keep moist.

Winter cuttings should be rooted and ready to pot up by midspring.

• corgi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou very much for your responce. I am assuming the cuttings should be kept indoors after following your suggestions, even in our milder winters on the west coast? Also, what do you mean by "callus'? (Apologies for my elemntary questions... :))

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Yes, indoors in a cool location - somewhere around 55-60F. Callusing means to allow the cut end to dry out or scar over slightly. Figs emit a milky, latex sap when cut - this needs to dry before planting the cuttings.

If your tree suckers (as many figs do), these can be dug and transplanted relatively easily also.

• corgi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here I was snipping all the suckers off at grade... I'm sure their will be more next year! Great information, thanks again.

• rain2fall
    14 years ago

Do you know what kind of figs they are? What's the skin and flesh color? Any chance you'd be willing to swap those cuttings?

Rain2Fall