Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anita9_gw

when can I transplant peonies and hydrangeas

anita9
12 years ago

I have 2 peonies and 1 hydrangea that I need to move; can I do it now or do I need to wait until later in the fall or winter?

The hydrangea is about 4' diameter and 3' tall. The peonies are a bunch of splayed-out leaves, maybe 3' tall at the highest.

And for either of these plants, how far out should I aim to dig to disturb the roots as little as possible?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The peony nursery that used to be near here cut the stems off and lifted, divided these early - like in September. Once the overwintering red buds are set on the root crowns they are ready to be handled. Another thing these plants have in common with woody shrubs, in addition to setting overwintering buds, is the majority of root activity occurring in fall. I suppose a problem with digging now is that recent fall root growth may be interfered with.

Dig the hydrangea after the leaves die. Both kinds of plants are better dug bare-rooted, in order to get as much total root mass as possible, than having the roots cut back in an effort to move intact soil balls of manageable size.

• anita9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you! does peony foliage normally die back in the winter here?

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Yes, it does

• fallgardener
    12 years ago

peonies can be divided and planted in the fall in the PNW - all the way through November and often through December. The peony site attached has planting instructions and if you request, dividing pointers.
    Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Brooks Gardens

• botann
    12 years ago

I've successfully moved Hydrangeas in the snow when the ground wasn't frozen. Not just a couple, but dozens.

They're easy to start from cuttings.

Mike

{{gwi:1092192}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting