Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil bulbs are coming up!

Posted by markey Z8 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 13:51

I planted some daffodil bulbs last month and they are up an inch already. Do I have a problem?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil bulbs are coming up!

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 15:47

Might be planted too shallowly.

o

I thought of that but I was aware of how deep they were planted. Would replanting them cause a problem? What would happen if I left them as is?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 17:34

Leave them be. Over several years, they'll adjust to a "normal" schedule.

o

There's a lot of funny things happening this autumn with our plants! A zuccini has sent out a new shoot and I have picked 4 new zuccs. Beets that I've left in the ground for the winter and putting out new greens. With our warm, wet September, the pasture is the thickest I've ever seen. I hope the temperature doesn't go from too warm to freezing overnight like it did a couple of years ago. So many plants are not going dormant like they should.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 21:49

I've heard comparisons are being made to 1955. That year it went from 60 degrees F. to 20F overnight.

Record cold followed.

If we actually have another winter like that one 2008, 1990 etc. will look like minor occurrences.

But we'll be left with lots of new planting spaces!

o

Will I get blooms as I had expected? Should more be planted so they bloom when I wanted them to bloom?

o

It is not at all unusual for spring blooming bulbs to produce early foliar growth.......just visit the Bulbs forum and you'll see this issue discussed ad nauseum :-) It has minimal impact on the bloom season - they will bloom on schedule, all other factors being equal. And since spring bulbs tend to be very hardy, a tough winter will also have minimal impact, as long as an adequate planting depth was followed. You could add some mulch over the area but it's really unnecessary. The foliage typically sails through winter without damage and the blooms will appear at their normal time.

o

You all made me feel better. Thank you!

Markey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here