Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identify This Leaf!

Posted by Handel 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 14:14

Would love help identifying this leaf (see attached pic)...

These plants are popping up all over my property... they are woody, and not particularly attractive... kind of spindly and tall, bowed over in a lot of cases. Some are over 6 feet at this point. The leaves are 7+ inches.

I'm trying to find out what they are... so I can decide whether to leave them, or start cutting them down!

Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identify This Leaf!

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 14:53

Probably red elderberry, the part shown being a leaflet rather than a complete leaf.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 23:04

I think you got it Ron!
That would be my guess also.
They grow in the wilder parts of my garden and once in awhile pop up in the more refined areas. Then I treat them as weeds. At the edge of the woods, they fit right in. I like the white blossoms and red berries. They come right back strong the following year after being cut almost to the ground in the Fall.
Mike

o

I haven't seen any berries, but I think that's it! Botann's picture looks exactly like what is growing, minus the berries.
Thank you very much!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 22:28

Break out the piano.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here