Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfrizz_gw

Western Cedar 'leaves' turning orange

cfrizz
14 years ago

My neighbor pointed this out to me this morning and said he's noticed it all over the area (Eastside). He thinks it is a disease but I'm hoping its just normal fall shedding. Can any one tell from a picture? Thanks!

Cathie

{{gwi:1092231}}{{gwi:1092233}}">

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic

Comments (8)

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    14 years ago

IF its just the interior needles and the discoloration is not on the outside of the canopy, likely just seasonal needle shedding.

{{gwi:1092233}}

This is a popular concern late summer and autumn.

• biner
    14 years ago

normal-called fallcast

• plantknitter
    14 years ago

I've heard it called flagging

Here is a link that might be useful: WSU cedar flagging

• reg_pnw7
    14 years ago

Flagging is different from fallcasting. Flagging is when new growth dies back and droops downward, leaving a brown or orangish 'flag' draped from the branch or leader. Flagging is a common symptom of insect damage, and of brown rot infection in flowering cherries.

I don't know why WSU would call this 'flagging'. I haven't hear that use of the word before, in 20+ years gardening. Flagging is new growth, not old foliage. Perhaps it's a regionalism I haven't heard before, or a shift in terminology? It's confusing if so.

All evergreens drop leaves at some point. Every species has its own season of dropping a noticeable percentage of its older foliage. For a lot of conifers it's late summer/early fall. Madrones drop their old leaves in summer, rhodies in fall. Live oaks and hollies drop old leaves in spring. Evergreens just don't drop all their leaves at once, like deciduous stuff does.

• cfrizz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! Glad to hear it is normal!
    cathie

• jean001
    14 years ago

I came to the NW 11 years ago and, shortly after, learned from a local forester (OSU Extension Service) that it's called "cedar flagging."

Here's info from BC
    http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/HFP/publications/00198/cedar_flagging.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: cedar flagging

• bobb_grow
    14 years ago

The Western Red Cedar in our area have also looked like that the past few weeks. Not too different than normal but it seems like the yellow/orange has been more pronounced, perhaps b/c of the extra heat this year. However, as is often the case in October, the strong outflow winds of the last few days have caused most of that old foliage to fall and the trees now look as green as normal.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Species grows wild over a much broader range of site conditions than are ideal for it. That coupled with widespread development and its impacts on (retained) tree health make gaunt cedars that drop much old foliage each year a pretty common sight here. Like the much-planted exotic ornamental Viburnum davidii, western red cedar is "not attractive unless well grown".